Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Tartness with wlp300  (Read 1626 times)

Offline DrewG

• Brewer
  • Thread Killer
Tartness with wlp300
« on: August 19, 2013, 10:48:14 am »
Recently kegged a dunkelweizen (BCS recipe). Noticed a fair amount of tartness in a sample during racking, which kind of overwhelmed the banana and clove flavor profile I was expecting (those flavors are present, but like i said, a but overwhelmed by this tartness) Pitched at 60, strong ferment at 62, raised to 66 days 7-10 and then it sat on the yeast another week. After carbonating, the tartness has dropped off some, but it's still present. I've read what I could about it on the interwebs, and I gather the yeast just throws this flavor sometimes? Should I expect it to age out? Is it preventable, if so how?

"Well, the Mexicans got a saying - what cannot be remedied must be endured."

-Barbarosa

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Tartness with wlp300
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 11:12:21 am »
Weizenbiers certainly tend to have a little tartness.  If you don't like it, then maybe weizen is just not your style.  Personally I like it a little tart.  Perhaps you could add a sprinkle of baking soda to increase the pH a bit.  But I wouldn't recommend it.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline DrewG

• Brewer
  • Thread Killer
Re: Tartness with wlp300
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 01:08:57 pm »
I'd be alright with a little, but where its at currently overwhelms the esters/phenols and malt flavor.
"Well, the Mexicans got a saying - what cannot be remedied must be endured."

-Barbarosa