Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: which dry yeast strain do you prefer?  (Read 2755 times)

Offline hospter81

• Cellarman
which dry yeast strain do you prefer?
« on: August 12, 2013, 12:34:57 pm »
Hi! just wondering which strain do you prefer for american styles and why? us05 or bry-97?

thanks!

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: which dry yeast strain do you prefer?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 03:18:38 pm »
I haven't done any side-by-side comparisons to taste the differences between all the different dry yeasts, but I think most people will agree that US-05 is the "old reliable" one that people really like to use.  It's cheap and effective and clean for all American styles.

I could almost say the same for Nottingham ale yeast, which is the old "old reliable".  It is typically a great yeast as well, when it works, but a handful of times over the years they have run into quality issues (i.e., yeast was dead on arrival).  When it works it works great.  When it doesn't... could be 5 gallons down the drain.  That being said you could always keep an extra pack or two on hand for emergencies.  It's cheap insurance.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 05:17:24 am »
And don't forget S-04 for British styles...and 34/70 for lagers (though I never had problems with "fruity" S-23 fermented cold - 46F).  Really, I think the dry yeasts are so convenient that I almost don't need liquids - I said almost....
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 06:55:04 am »
Pretty amazing how good dry yeast has gotten since I started brewing. US-05 is one of my go to yeasts, but I think you can make qualioty beer from just about any dry yeast on the market now.

Offline anthony

• Brewer
  • Hoppy to help!
    • Triptych
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 10:25:17 pm »
I think BRY-97 is really underrated, especially for beers that aren't particularly hoppy.

Even factoring in the lag time on the first pitch, following the manufacturer's pitching rates, I got aggressive fermentations that hit terminal gravity within 7 days and had a nice clean taste. Subsequent pitches had a significantly reduced lag time as well.

That being said, 500g of US-05 is literally almost half the price of BRY-97 and while it performs a little slower, still has decent flavor and doesn't have the same sort of perception issues with hoppy beers.

Offline DrewG

• Brewer
  • Thread Killer
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 10:14:27 am »
I help out from time to time at a brewpub that uses S-04 for a lot of different styles. You wouldn't know it was an english strain, ferments with very low esters on that system and temp.
"Well, the Mexicans got a saying - what cannot be remedied must be endured."

-Barbarosa

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 08:13:54 am »
I use S-05 often and love it. I haven't been brave enough to try many others, since S-05 works so well. I have used S-04 a few times and I really like that one as well. It drops out and stays out really quickly and thoroughly. I used it to carbonate my pils for that reason.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 09:21:11 am »
I agree with Anthony on BRY-97.  Plus, re-using it again reduces the overall cost.

I get tired of waiting for S-05 to drop.