Author Topic: which dry yeast strain do you prefer?  (Read 898 times)

Offline hospter81

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
which dry yeast strain do you prefer?
« on: August 12, 2013, 11:34:57 AM »
Hi! just wondering which strain do you prefer for american styles and why? us05 or bry-97?

thanks!

Offline dmtaylor

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
Re: which dry yeast strain do you prefer?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 02:18:38 PM »
I haven't done any side-by-side comparisons to taste the differences between all the different dry yeasts, but I think most people will agree that US-05 is the "old reliable" one that people really like to use.  It's cheap and effective and clean for all American styles.

I could almost say the same for Nottingham ale yeast, which is the old "old reliable".  It is typically a great yeast as well, when it works, but a handful of times over the years they have run into quality issues (i.e., yeast was dead on arrival).  When it works it works great.  When it doesn't... could be 5 gallons down the drain.  That being said you could always keep an extra pack or two on hand for emergencies.  It's cheap insurance.
Dave

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our Maker, and glory to His bounty, by learning about... BEER!" - Friar Tuck (Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Da mihi sis cerevisiam.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 04:17:24 AM »
And don't forget S-04 for British styles...and 34/70 for lagers (though I never had problems with "fruity" S-23 fermented cold - 46F).  Really, I think the dry yeasts are so convenient that I almost don't need liquids - I said almost....
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
    • View Profile
    • Yellowhammer Brewing Company
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 05:55:04 AM »
Pretty amazing how good dry yeast has gotten since I started brewing. US-05 is one of my go to yeasts, but I think you can make qualioty beer from just about any dry yeast on the market now.
Keith Y.
Self appointed "All Grain" section pruner

Offline anthony

• Assistant Brewer
  • Hoppy to help!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 09:25:17 PM »
I think BRY-97 is really underrated, especially for beers that aren't particularly hoppy.

Even factoring in the lag time on the first pitch, following the manufacturer's pitching rates, I got aggressive fermentations that hit terminal gravity within 7 days and had a nice clean taste. Subsequent pitches had a significantly reduced lag time as well.

That being said, 500g of US-05 is literally almost half the price of BRY-97 and while it performs a little slower, still has decent flavor and doesn't have the same sort of perception issues with hoppy beers.

Offline DrewG

• Brewer
  • Thread Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 09:14:27 AM »
I help out from time to time at a brewpub that uses S-04 for a lot of different styles. You wouldn't know it was an english strain, ferments with very low esters on that system and temp.
"Well, the Mexicans got a saying - what cannot be remedied must be endured."

-Barbarosa

Offline theoman

• Brewer
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 07:13:54 AM »
I use S-05 often and love it. I haven't been brave enough to try many others, since S-05 works so well. I have used S-04 a few times and I really like that one as well. It drops out and stays out really quickly and thoroughly. I used it to carbonate my pils for that reason.

Offline chumley

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 08:21:11 AM »
I agree with Anthony on BRY-97.  Plus, re-using it again reduces the overall cost.

I get tired of waiting for S-05 to drop.