General Category > Yeast and Fermentation

Slow Fermentation

<< < (2/4) > >>

In The Sand:
Just curious, why did you decide to start reusing yeast?

majorvices:
You should be aiming to use enough yeast to wrap fermentation up in a week to 10 days - use the yeast pitching calc at www.mrmalty.com to make sure you are pitching enough yeast. 3 weeks is too long. Make sure you are aerating the cold wort properly before pitching. Make sure the wort is cooled below 70 before pitching. Preferably you don't want the temp of the fermenting beer to rise over 70 degrees for the first 2 or 3 days, but on your system that may not be possible, though it is certainly ideal.

I'd recommend harvesting yeast not long after fermentation is actually finished and keep the generation from 6-9 or less. Don't use yeast from higher gravity fermentation (not much higher than 1.065). Make sure your water has at least 50 ppms of calcium or you can have sluggish fermentations.

Fresh, healthy yeast and plenty of it. Aeration, yeast nutrients (I like the wyeast nutrient), and temp control are your keys to healthy fermentations.

majorvices:

--- Quote from: hopsand on August 19, 2013, 06:59:28 PM ---Just curious, why did you decide to start reusing yeast?

--- End quote ---

You don't run a commercial operation and not reuse the yeast.

In The Sand:

--- Quote from: majorvices on August 20, 2013, 04:30:32 AM ---
--- Quote from: hopsand on August 19, 2013, 06:59:28 PM ---Just curious, why did you decide to start reusing yeast?

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Yes, but at a nano level I was curious what his incentive was.  I would assume on a larger scale it would be beneficial to reuse yeast to decrease the cost per ounce, but on a small scale, not so much.  Unless of course he is planning on upgrading in the near future and wants to start getting acquainted with reusing yeast.  I'll wait for his response. 

majorvices:

--- Quote from: hopsand on August 20, 2013, 05:28:29 AM ---
--- Quote from: majorvices on August 20, 2013, 04:30:32 AM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Yes, but at a nano level I was curious what his incentive was.  I would assume on a larger scale it would be beneficial to reuse yeast to decrease the cost per ounce, but on a small scale, not so much.  Unless of course he is planning on upgrading in the near future and wants to start getting acquainted with reusing yeast.  I'll wait for his response.

--- End quote ---

Well, I must completely disagree. I brewed at the nano level for 2 years and you don't buy a conical and not take advantage of harvesting yeast. I homebrewed for 15 years before going pro and most of those years I harvested and reused yeast out of buckets and carbouys. Often times you will get better performance from the yeast on 2nd and 3rd generation.

If you are not harvesting yeast, even at the 5 gallon level, your missing out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version