Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fixing overcarbonated bottles  (Read 6469 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Fixing overcarbonated bottles
« on: August 21, 2013, 06:04:13 pm »
I bottles an ESB a couple of months ago and underestimated how much beer the dry hops would soak up, so I ended up overpriming my bottles. Unfortunately, there is a lot of sediment in the bottles (side note - I will never be trying the "1-day dry hop" thing again. Not enough time for the hops to settle out and too much makes it through my siphon/paint-strainer bag setup). The carbonation is high enough that it blows the sediment loose once I open the bottle and it all makes it into my glass. Essentially, this batch is a dumper unless I can fix the carbonation issue.

So, has anyone here had any luck fixing an overcarbonated batch of bottles? Most of the bottles I've tried have been gushers, so I don't think I can simply open, then recap them. Any ideas?
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: Fixing overcarbonated bottles
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 06:32:45 pm »
If you get them really cold, say 20 minutes in the freezer, then open them and let them "breath" for 10 minutes and recap it may help.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 07:15:33 pm »
Step 1: invent time machine.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 07:31:54 pm »
Step two, invent time machine

(A little quantum humor there)

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 07:55:36 pm »
No good fix here.  I'd go with putting in freezer for 20 minutes first.  Other than that I think the only thing you can do is dump the beer into a carboy, fermenter, or bucket, let the sediment settle and then bottle or keg again.  The beer would probably suck. 

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 06:43:11 am »
I had this problem with a Dubbel once.  I just opened them for about 1 min and recapped and it worked.  That beer won a second place.
Dan Chisholm

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 06:52:19 am »
+3 to the open, let sit and recap thing. Done it. Works. Club member did it, won medals.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 07:22:58 am »
I had a Mead one time that I thought was Still, it wasn't...  Fortunately I bottled it in 12 oz. beer bottles with crown caps. You can gently pry the cap just enough to let some pressure off and then release it when it starts to foam up. The cap, for the most part, will reseal and stop the gushing. You have to be gentle though. If you actually open it enough so it won't reseal you're in for a mess... I had to do this over a number of days before I could open them completely. Then I set new sanitized caps on top of each bottle for about a week or so to let them vent, and then recapped. They turned out fine.  Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 07:36:37 am »
+3 to the open, let sit and recap thing. Done it. Works. Club member did it, won medals.

This does work but get them cold first to prevent the initial gush. Also, just pop the cap enough to hear some hiss, when it stops re-cap. If they are really over primed you may have to do this more than once to get the level correct.
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010