Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: pale ale overhaul  (Read 2733 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
pale ale overhaul
« on: August 22, 2013, 11:43:07 am »
I am trying to revise my current house APA. Here is what I have changed it to so far

77% Vienna
15% Rye
8% light crystal

1/2 oz Centennial FWH
1/4 oz Magnum 60 min
3/4 oz Centennial, Amarillo, Simcoe (1/4 oz of each) 10 min
3/4 oz Centennial, Amarillo, Simcoe (1/4 oz of each) 5 min
3/4 oz Centennial, Amarillo, Simcoe (1/4 oz of each) flameout
dryhop undetermined...

Mash at 154
OG ~1.051
IBUs ~35
SRM 7
S-04 yeast

I realize I should only be making one change to the recipe at a time but I said the hell with it. The old recipe is good but can be much better. Changes from the prior recipe are as follows:

*removed 1/2# of wheat and replaced with Vienna
*changed yeast from US-05 to S-04 (beginning to prefer S-04)
*added simcoe to the mix (before it was just centennial/amarillo) for late additions
*planning to dry hop (likely mix of simcoe, centennial, and amarillo)

Thoughts? Suggestions?
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: pale ale overhaul
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 12:14:56 pm »
I mean, there's nothing wrong with the recipe you posted, but in order for us to give suggestions it would be helpful to know what you didn't like about the old one and what you want out of this one.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 12:57:59 pm »
I really like your hops and hop schedule.  If style guidelines matter to you, I don't think it should have that much rye or S-04.  Otherwise, it looks like a tasty beer because I like those hops a lot.
Dan Chisholm

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 01:21:43 pm »
I really like your hops and hop schedule.  If style guidelines matter to you, I don't think it should have that much rye or S-04.  Otherwise, it looks like a tasty beer because I like those hops a lot.

I have considered removing the rye. As you can tell this is basically a rye pale ale. I will likely remove it after next attempt for comparison and go from there.

My friend uses WY1968 for his pale ale and I love it. I know people probably don't like S-04 as much but I prefer dry yeast and I have seen it compared to 1968 before. I normally use US-05 but am starting to prefer S-04 for certain styles. I am not much of a stickler for guidelines these days...I suppose I should just call it a pale ale instead of an APA
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 01:24:43 pm by goschman »

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 01:34:40 pm »
Question: Don't a lot of breweries use english yeast to make American style beers? The example I would give is Stone. I believe it is recommended to use WLP002/007 when cloning their beers. Am I incorrect?

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 02:14:27 pm »
Question: Don't a lot of breweries use english yeast to make American style beers? The example I would give is Stone. I believe it is recommended to use WLP002/007 when cloning their beers. Am I incorrect?

no you are correct - nothing wrong with using either 002 or 007 or their counterparts with other yeast companies in an american ale.  Stone is just one of a sea of many breweries that do the same.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 04:50:03 pm »

no you are correct - nothing wrong with using either 002 or 007 or their counterparts with other yeast companies in an american ale.  Stone is just one of a sea of many breweries that do the same.

+1 - And if you stay on the cool side of fermentation temps, then you can still get a pretty clean yeast profile.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 05:22:56 pm »

+1 - And if you stay on the cool side of fermentation temps, then you can still get a pretty clean yeast profile.

So any of you that have tried 007 in an IPA... How is it? I've only used it in a stout and I like it there. I usually only use 001 in my IPAs but was thinking of broadening the horizons a bit.
Frank

Offline guido

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 07:15:19 pm »
I'm trying to get rid of the crystal in my APA's and IPA's, but it's hard to let go!  Also trying to avoid 6o min boil hops.  Going with FWH and hammer it with hops during the last 15-20 minutes.  I like to use Amarillo, Simcoe, and Centennial, with the Wyeast 1272.
Well...I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer

-"Roadhouse Blues,"  Jim Morrison

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 09:22:25 pm »

So any of you that have tried 007 in an IPA... How is it? I've only used it in a stout and I like it there. I usually only use 001 in my IPAs but was thinking of broadening the horizons a bit.

It's great. 007 is my go to for most everything. Ferment below 70 in my opinion. Nice dry beer.