Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ginger Ale Mead?  (Read 5735 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Ginger Ale Mead?
« on: August 04, 2013, 07:48:53 pm »
I've had an idea that keeps popping up in my head, so I'm thinking of giving it a go. I was thinking of brewing a relatively low gravity (1.050-1.060ish) mead that would be a bit more refreshing than my typical 15%+ "dessert-wine" style melomels. I want to shoot for something like a fruited ginger beer (thinking raspberry, lime, or both).

Anyone have any experience with a recipe in this style? Would I use as much fruit as I would for a bigger melomel, or cut it back? Also, any recommendations on how much ginger root to use? Lastly, I'd want to bottle carbonate, but I've never done this with a mead. I'd assume the preferred priming sugar would be the honey I used for the mead, correct? I'm thinking of priming to 3 volumes in normal beer bottles.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: Ginger Ale Mead?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 08:13:49 pm »
Your biggest challenge will be the bottle conditioning. If you bottle condition, it will be completely dry as honey is simple sugar and completely fermentable. Ginger without sugar probably won't be what you want (but maybe it is?) This will be much easier if you can keg, stop fermentation, force carbonate and then bottle.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 09:01:24 pm »
Your biggest challenge will be the bottle conditioning. If you bottle condition, it will be completely dry as honey is simple sugar and completely fermentable. Ginger without sugar probably won't be what you want (but maybe it is?) This will be much easier if you can keg, stop fermentation, force carbonate and then bottle.

I'll probably start off with a pilot batch, but I'm thinking bone dry will be OK. I think you can still have the impression of sweetness in a dry mead since the flavor of honey is innately perceived as sweet. I think as long as their is some acidity and tannin (from fruit or a tannin addition) and the spice level of the ginger isn't blowing your palate off, then hopefully I should be OK.
Eric B.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 07:08:23 am »
I think there's a light, sparkling ginger mead recipe in the bible (Complete Joy of Homebrewing). You might want to check that out.  Honey would make a great priming sugar and it would increase the honey perception. Even dry meads tend to stop tasting like honey when the sugars are gone. It's amazing how important sweetness is to some flavors.  Nice think is it should be easy to make a gallon or even half gallon to try it out.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 10:13:28 pm »
I think there's a light, sparkling ginger mead recipe in the bible (Complete Joy of Homebrewing). You might want to check that out.  Honey would make a great priming sugar and it would increase the honey perception. Even dry meads tend to stop tasting like honey when the sugars are gone. It's amazing how important sweetness is to some flavors.  Nice think is it should be easy to make a gallon or even half gallon to try it out.

Thanks for the tip on that recipe. That's exactly the kind of starting point I was looking for!
Eric B.

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 07:45:08 am »
Barkshack ginger mead.   :P

I cannot tell you how many horrible attempts at that recipe I had to gag down back when I was a beer/mead judge.  Don't waste your honey.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 03:30:09 pm »
Barkshack ginger mead.   :P

I cannot tell you how many horrible attempts at that recipe I had to gag down back when I was a beer/mead judge.  Don't waste your honey.

What made them so bad?
Eric B.

Offline punatic

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 11:46:24 pm »
The low original gravity combined with champagne yeast, aggressive use of ginger and the sparking finish made for very unpleasant dryness and astringency. 

Apparently this is a recipe that many first time meadmakers are attracted to.  As such, they were prone to having many inexperience flaws in them too.

I used to cringe when I got the flight list and find multiple sparkling ginger meads listed.  It's tough to think of positive feedback comments to write with your mouth puckered to the point of causing tears.  But, because it was many first timers it was important not to be discouraging in comments.

However, here, I can tell you it is a waste of honey.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 12:08:40 pm »
Thanks for the frank feedback. Maybe I'll save the raspberry-ginger thing for a backsweetened cider this fall instead.
Eric B.

Offline tcanova

• Assistant Brewer
  • Fayetteville Arkansas
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 01:03:53 pm »
I made a strawberry, peppercorn "short" mead a little over a week ago and it is quite nice.

My recipe
6# honey
4 bags freeze dried strawberries
1 1/2 tablespoons crushed peppercorns

I pulverized the strawberries and added them and the crushed peppercorns to boiling filtered,water and let them simmer for about ten minutes.  I warmed the honey in a water bath and poured into a sanitized fermenter and then added 2 gallons cool, filtered water and shook to dissolve.  I then added the strawberry mixture, solids and all to the carboy and topped off with filtered water to 5 gallons.  Pitched 1 pack champagne yeast and let ferment for 1 week in a closet (72-74 degrees)  Then crash cooled for a day and kegged and put on gas for a day. 

It is light and refreshing, with a strawberry nose and a little bite from the peppercorn.  My wife says I made a wine cooler.  ::)

I got the idea from Drew Beechum and from this blog.
http://mylifeoncraft.com/?cat=24

It was quite easy and I'm already looking for some new ideas for recipes.
What's the worst that could happen?  Beer?

Wooo Pig Sooiee

Offline punatic

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2013, 01:29:41 am »
Black pepper in a mead, hmmm...  I am not a big fan of metheglins, but I love the flavor of freshly ground peppercorns.  Methinks experimenting needs to happen.  Luckily my girls have provided me with a great deal of albizia blossom honey this year.

I have so much I am playing around with making honey vinegar, with an eye towards going commercial with it.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 01:31:46 am by punatic »

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2013, 05:32:01 am »
Black pepper in a mead, hmmm...  I am not a big fan of metheglins, but I love the flavor of freshly ground peppercorns.  Methinks experimenting needs to happen.  Luckily my girls have provided me with a great deal of albizia blossom honey this year.

I have so much I am playing around with making honey vinegar, with an eye towards going commercial with it.

Honey vinegar?  That's hard for me to imagine what it would taste like.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2013, 06:40:12 am »
Some guy named Ken Schramm makes a ginger mead that is excellent, and he has called it "The Tina Louise", and some of you may have had it at the NHC previously.

Now that he is just about to open his Meadery, he will call it Ginger. Looking forward to a bottle of that.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline punatic

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2013, 01:38:32 pm »

Honey vinegar?  That's hard for me to imagine what it would taste like.

It is most highly excellent in flavor.  Like honey and mead the flavors vary with floral source.  A high end product that requires no ABP licensing to do commercially.  Something to do with all of the honey my girls are bringing in.  You make mead (anaerobic), then make it into vinegar (aerobic - bacterial).

AHA Life Member #33907