General Category > Beer Recipes

Summer/Session Ale

<< < (2/6) > >>

morticaixavier:

--- Quote from: goschman on August 20, 2013, 02:02:37 PM ---Hoping to get under 80% attenuation for this attempt but not sure to what degree a 2 degree change in mash temp will really change...

--- End quote ---

when is the last time you calibrated your thermo at mash temps?

Try 162*

goschman:

--- Quote from: morticaixavier on August 20, 2013, 03:39:58 PM ---
--- Quote from: goschman on August 20, 2013, 02:02:37 PM ---Hoping to get under 80% attenuation for this attempt but not sure to what degree a 2 degree change in mash temp will really change...

--- End quote ---

Try 162*

--- End quote ---

I was going to try mashing above 158 but was worried I wouldn't get enough attenuation. Most of my beers finish low so I am used to it. I think I don't mind light bodied beers and most of my beers don't fit with guidelines anyway.

cornershot:

--- End quote ---

Try 162*

--- End quote ---

How do you calibrate a thermometer at mash temps?

morticaixavier:

--- Quote from: Big Al on August 20, 2013, 05:22:21 PM ---

--- End quote ---

Try 162*

--- End quote ---

How do you calibrate a thermometer at mash temps?

--- End quote ---

that's the tricky part. You have to get access to a thermo that is to be trusted in the 150-170 range and check it against that. Usually this means a NIST certified old school glass and alcohol model.

It may or may not be worth it. I personally have not done this with any of my thermos I just play around till I figure out the mash temps that work for me with my equipment. I calibrate at boiling on occasion and once in a great while at 32* but that's kind of a pain in the butt too.

goschman:
I have never calibrated my thermometer at mash temps. It is accurate at freezing and boiling temps but I do realize it is used mainly for mash temps...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version