General Category > Zymurgy

chiller performance: sep/oct 2013

<< < (2/5) > >>

cornershot:
Brewed today and it took my chiller (basically 2 x 25' chillers running in parallel) 14 minutes to reach 68f with 65f water.  What am I doing wrong?

In The Sand:
Too many theoretical variables. You okay at that

cornershot:

--- Quote from: hopsand on August 22, 2013, 06:23:08 PM ---Too many theoretical variables. You okay at that

--- End quote ---

I'm okay with the time it takes to chill. But the study in Zymurgy says they're getting it done in 10 minutes vs. my 14 minutes.
The variables:
They chilled 5 gallons, I did 5.5.

They used a 46'x3/8" coil. I use 2 separately-fed  25'x3/8" coils. Theoretically, this should give mine an advantage, at least enough to make up for the slight difference in volume.

We both used 65f water to chill.

I circulate the wort continuously, in the opposite direction of chiller flow.

My chiller flow rate is 3 gpm. So is theirs.

So how do they chill so much faster? Or do they? Perhaps the article is based strictly on calculations, with no scientific data, and is really just theoretical bs?

hopfenundmalz:

--- Quote from: Big Al on August 23, 2013, 02:32:39 AM ---
--- Quote from: hopsand on August 22, 2013, 06:23:08 PM ---Too many theoretical variables. You okay at that

--- End quote ---

I'm okay with the time it takes to chill. But the study in Zymurgy says they're getting it done in 10 minutes vs. my 14 minutes.
The variables:
They chilled 5 gallons, I did 5.5.

They used a 46'x3/8" coil. I use 2 separately-fed  25'x3/8" coils. Theoretically, this should give mine an advantage, at least enough to make up for the slight difference in volume.

We both used 65f water to chill.

I circulate the wort continuously, in the opposite direction of chiller flow.

My chiller flow rate is 3 gpm. So is theirs.

So how do they chill so much faster? Or do they? Perhaps the article is based strictly on calculations, with no scientific data, and is really just theoretical bs?

--- End quote ---
It does look like calculations were used for the graph. The data point for the immersion being below the counterflow is counterintuitive. You could e-mail Zymurgy and ask the question there, and I suspect the author would respond. Worked for me a while back when I had a question.

denny:
I use a 50 ft. 3/8" immersion chiller.  My ground water averages about 55F...a bit warmer at the height of summer and a bit lower in mid winter.  Before I started doing the recirculated chilling thing, it took bout 30 min. to go from boiling to 0F.  With recirculation it takes about 10-13 min.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version