Author Topic: ginger and hops  (Read 1356 times)

Offline goschman

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
ginger and hops
« on: August 21, 2013, 08:46:42 AM »
I do an "asian inspired" blonde ale with ginger and green tea (I know it's weird). In my two previous batches, the ginger was way too strong. I am using finely grated fresh ginger at 5 minutes remaining in the boil. My first question is regarding amount. The first attempt was 35 g and the second attempt was 14g. Both were too much. I am thinking 4 g for the next batch?

Also, any recommendations on hops that might compliment the ginger? IBUs will stay at or below 20 but I would like to get a bit of flavor/aroma out of them.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 09:15:26 AM by goschman »

Offline erockrph

• Brewmaster General
  • Chepachet, RI
    • View Profile
    • Critical Tastings
Re: ginger and hops
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 09:57:36 AM »
My top choice would be Motueka - I mainly get lime zest and lemongrass with some noble-type herbal/spicy notes in the background. Sorachi, Amarillo and Centennial may be OK. I think citrus is good, as long as you don't have too much of that bitter white grapefruit (i.e., Cascade) thing going on.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline dmtaylor

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 10:04:03 AM »
erockrph is right on the money.  I was going to mention most of the hops that he did.
Dave

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our Maker, and glory to His bounty, by learning about... BEER!" - Friar Tuck (Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves)

Offline AmandaK

• Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 10:05:33 AM »
Agreed on the hop suggestions.

Question though: how are you grating the ginger? I find that my Microplane gives a much more assertive flavor/aroma than a regular grater. I have to be really careful with that thing while grating ginger/garlic!
Amanda Kertz
Kansas City Bier Meister
BJCP National

Offline goschman

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 10:22:06 AM »
Agreed on the hop suggestions.

Question though: how are you grating the ginger? I find that my Microplane gives a much more assertive flavor/aroma than a regular grater. I have to be really careful with that thing while grating ginger/garlic!

It's been a while since I attempted it last. I think I used the fine grate on a normal stand up cheese grater but I may have used a microplane as well which I use for lemongrass in another beer.

Online mtnrockhopper

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 10:27:04 AM »
I just had a beer with ginger and pacific jade, which is 'orange marmelade -ey'. They went well together.
Jimmy K

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup when the old president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP: B0958

Offline narvin

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Baltimore
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 10:28:00 AM »
I think some spicy, earthy noble and noble-like hops could also work, and wouldn't overpower the ginger like some of the more citrusy hops.  Saaz, Styrian Goldings, maybe Crystal.  Dial back the ginger first, though.  4-6g is a good starting point.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 10:30:16 AM by narvin »
Please do not reply if your an evil alien!
Thanks
Chris S.

Online kramerog

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 10:50:49 AM »
Start low and if you want more you can add more to the fermenter.
Brewers of South Suburbia
Brixie's Brewers

Online morticaixavier

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Davis, CA
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 02:55:27 PM »

I don't know. adding fresh ginger to the fermenter might well result in biological activity that you did not intend. Lots of critters living on/in ginger.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time" - A. Einstein

Jonathan I Fuller

Offline dmtaylor

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 03:11:27 PM »
You can always soak some freshly grated ginger in an ounce of vodka and just add the vodka.  Nothing nasty can live in vodka, and it soaks up flavors like a sponge.  I use vodka for all sorts of different spice additions.
Dave

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our Maker, and glory to His bounty, by learning about... BEER!" - Friar Tuck (Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves)

Online mtnrockhopper

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 05:39:06 AM »

I don't know. adding fresh ginger to the fermenter might well result in biological activity that you did not intend. Lots of critters living on/in ginger.

I buy on, but in? I added a pound of peeled ginger to a fermenter once and didn't see new biological activity. Took a year for the ginger to mellow out though.
Jimmy K

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup when the old president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP: B0958

Online morticaixavier

• Davis, CA
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2013, 07:32:24 AM »

I buy on, but in? I added a pound of peeled ginger to a fermenter once and didn't see new biological activity. Took a year for the ginger to mellow out though.

well there you go. I guess if your careful peeling and don't contaminate the peeled ginger too much it might be fine.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time" - A. Einstein

Jonathan I Fuller

Offline goschman

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2013, 08:41:44 AM »
Thanks everyone. I think I will stick to adding ginger at the end of the boil since it has worked well for me. Still undecided on the hops. I don't have any "exotic" types so I am thinking about some centennial and amarillo maybe. Also thinking about using a bit of lemongrass as well.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 08:43:42 AM by goschman »

Online kramerog

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2013, 09:51:03 AM »

I'm not particularly concerned about bugs coming from the peeled ginger for largely the same reasons that I don't worry about dry hopping.  However any ginger added to the fermenter can be grated and put in some boiling water and then added as a tea.
Brewers of South Suburbia
Brixie's Brewers

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
    • View Profile
    • Yellowhammer Brewing Company
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2013, 04:50:32 PM »

For reference I used a pound and a half of ginger for 310 gallons of beer and ginger is noticeable at that level.
Keith Y.
Self appointed "All Grain" section pruner