Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What to do with my fresh hops  (Read 4290 times)

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
What to do with my fresh hops
« on: August 22, 2013, 09:47:07 am »
Last night, I was cleaning out the pickle jars, as we are making about 6 dozen quarts of dill pickles this weekend.  And I look up, and see all these nice cones on my hop vines.  And I wondered......

what would happen if we through a few cones into some of the jars. 

We're gonna give it a go.  Has anyone ever done this? 

Offline bluefoxicy

• Brewer
Re: What to do with my fresh hops
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 02:00:47 pm »

what would happen if we through a few cones into some of the jars. 

Nifa Fifa will start drinking your pickle juice.

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 02:18:04 pm »
Micsager...sorry to thread jack but do you need to use a pressure cooker when jarring your pickles.  My wife wants to do some pickling with the ton of cukes we grew this year.  She bought the canning jars but I thought you need to use the pressure cooker to sterilize for long term storage.

I have no clue.

Hop pickles...I'm not sure about that one, but then I don't like pickles that much.  Good luck.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 02:28:30 pm »
Micsager...sorry to thread jack but do you need to use a pressure cooker when jarring your pickles.  My wife wants to do some pickling with the ton of cukes we grew this year.  She bought the canning jars but I thought you need to use the pressure cooker to sterilize for long term storage.

I have no clue.

Hop pickles...I'm not sure about that one, but then I don't like pickles that much.  Good luck.

We do not use a pressure cooking.  We don't process most jars in a water bath.  Just heat the brine to almost boiling, run the jars through the hottest cycle in your dishwasher (with no soap), have the lids in a pot on the stove with likewise very hot water. 

Fill the jars with pickles, dill, peppers, ext, then fill with brine to about a 1/4 inch from top, put on the lids on screw a ring on.  As tight as you can.  Let them cool.  most will seal just fine.  you can tell by tapping the lid.  Plus, you will hear them "ping" as they seal.  If any do not seal, process in water bath for 10 minutes and repeat the cooling. 

Out of the 91 jars we did Sunday, only two needed a water bath.  That's better than normal. 

Like brewing, cleanliness is quite critical.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 02:36:58 pm »
The decision to process in a water bath or in pressure has to do with the pH of the food you are canning. cucumber Pickles, if made from a trustworthy recipe with vinegar of known acidity is safe to preserve with a water bath but if the pH is too high there is risk of botulism and you need to get the processing temp up there well above 212 to be safe.

That's when the pressure canner comes in.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 02:42:17 pm »
Interesting Mort.  I never knew.  I been using an old family recipe for many years, but never even considered looking at what level of acidity in the vinegar.  The brine is quite simple

12 cups distilled water
4 cups distilled white vinegar
1 cup canning (pickling) salt

That should make 7-8 jars, so scale up as required.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 02:43:52 pm »
Interesting Mort.  I never knew.  I been using an old family recipe for many years, but never even considered looking at what level of acidity in the vinegar.  The brine is quite simple

12 cups distilled water
4 cups distilled white vinegar
1 cup canning (pickling) salt

That should make 7-8 jars, so scale up as required.

The distilled white vinegar is of known acidity. Look on the label. It's probably around 6%
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 11:13:10 am »
To answer the OP question and thread topic, dry your hops and BREW beer with em.... 8)
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 11:36:48 am »
To answer the OP question and thread topic, dry your hops and BREW beer with em.... 8)

THIS^^^^^

Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline mwpruett

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 01:59:02 pm »
Someone in my club made and fed us hop pickles.  There are recipes out there for them.  Soooo good.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2013, 02:03:12 pm »
Someone in my club made and fed us hop pickles.  There are recipes out there for them.  Soooo good.

Hops or hop shoots>  I have made pickled hop shoots before, but not pickled hops.  I'm not sure I even wanna think about that!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell