Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: dry yeast question  (Read 12183 times)

Offline Three

• Assistant Brewer
  • Avon, IN
Re: dry yeast question
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2013, 10:56:49 am »
I'm another one who has tried both ways and settled on no rehydration.

So, Rehydrated < Dry

But is a yeast starter better than just sprinkling the dry yeast in? Or is that really just to boost pitching rate for higher OG beers?

Confusing I know.

I'm not sure if it's less.  This is just a group of brewers that in their experiences (and opinions), if you sprinkle it in/on dry, it works and saves you an extra step and the fermentation is good.  I too have done both and have had good results either way.  (If it was the best way I don't know, but the beer tasted good.)  I usually rehydrate because that's what the manufacturer says to do, and for me it's easier to pour into my carboy.  If/when I use a bucket, sprinkling the yeast on top would be easy.  I think the confusion comes from what the manufacturer says to do, compared to the practice of many accomplished brewers (of which I'm not one yet).  Bottom line is it's your brewhouse, and your the brewmaster, try brewing one each way and see what happens......
Anyone who sings a tune so sweet is passin by........

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2013, 11:06:08 am »

So, Rehydrated < Dry

But is a yeast starter better than just sprinkling the dry yeast in? Or is that really just to boost pitching rate for higher OG beers?

Confusing I know.

I'm not sure if it's less.  This is just a group of brewers that in their experiences (and opinions), if you sprinkle it in/on dry, it works and saves you an extra step and the fermentation is good.  I too have done both and have had good results either way.  (If it was the best way I don't know, but the beer tasted good.)  I usually rehydrate because that's what the manufacturer says to do, and for me it's easier to pour into my carboy.  If/when I use a bucket, sprinkling the yeast on top would be easy.  I think the confusion comes from what the manufacturer says to do, compared to the practice of many accomplished brewers (of which I'm not one yet).  Bottom line is it's your brewhouse, and your the brewmaster, try brewing one each way and see what happens......

+1 Great advice!
Trey W.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2013, 12:15:52 pm »

So, Rehydrated < Dry

A yeast starter is not only unnecessary, but can even be detrimental with dry yeast.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline scottNU

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2013, 12:40:42 pm »
I usually rehydrate because that's what the manufacturer says to do, and for me it's easier to pour into my carboy. 

I have normally rehydrated dry yeast simply because I didn't have a good way to get the yeast into the carboy through the neck.  To be honest, I didn't try sprinkling down the hole because I imagined it would either stick to the neck or stick to the sanitized funnel. 

Does anyone has a nice trick to get the powedered yeast into the carboy or am I way overthinking this point?

Offline bazowie

• Cellarman
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2013, 12:58:01 pm »
People say there is no reason to rehydrate, if this is true why does the Safale website have these instructions?

(Rehydration Instructions
Sprinkle the yeast in minimum 10 times its weight of sterile water or wort at 27°C ± 3°C (80°F ± 6°F). Leave to rest 15 to 30 minutes.
Gently stir for 30 minutes, and pitch the resultant cream into the fermentation vessel.
Alternatively, pitch the yeast directly in the fermentation vessel providing the temperature of the wort is above 20°C (68°F). Progressively sprinkle
the dry yeast into the wort ensuring the yeast covers all the surface of wort available in order to avoid clumps. Leave for 30 minutes, then mix the
wort using aeration or by wort addition.)

I rehydrate per the instructions and have never had a problem and I dont have to spend the extra for more packs, (32 gallon ferment at a time), I rehydrate (7) packs instead of pitching 11-12 packs dry.

In dog beers I've had 1

Offline anthony

• Brewer
  • Hoppy to help!
    • Triptych
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2013, 01:20:16 pm »
People say there is no reason to rehydrate, if this is true why does the Safale website have these instructions?

Sprinkle the yeast in minimum 10 times its weight of sterile water or wort at 27°C ± 3°C (80°F ± 6°F). Leave to rest 15 to 30 minutes.
Gently stir for 30 minutes, and pitch the resultant cream into the fermentation vessel.
Alternatively, pitch the yeast directly in the fermentation vessel providing the temperature of the wort is above 20°C (68°F). Progressively sprinkle
the dry yeast into the wort ensuring the yeast covers all the surface of wort available in order to avoid clumps. Leave for 30 minutes, then mix the

I rehydrate per the instructions and have never had a problem and I dont have to spend the extra for more packs, (32 gallon ferment at a time), I rehydrate (7) packs instead of pitching 11-12 packs dry.

Is this a trick question? The instructions you posted not only suggest that you can use wort instead of water for rehydration but they also suggest that you can rehydrate directly in the fermenter.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2013, 01:24:42 pm »

Is this a trick question? The instructions you posted not only suggest that you can use wort instead of water for rehydration but they also suggest that you can rehydrate directly in the fermenter.

also, have you considered trying to get professional pitch packages? it would probably save you money at that scale. Or reusing/propogating.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2013, 01:25:17 pm »

Does anyone has a nice trick to get the powedered yeast into the carboy or am I way overthinking this point?
Overthinking perhaps. I cut the top off the packette, squeeze it so it forms a V shaped funnel, pour through carboy neck onto wort. It piles in the middle a bit and takes a little longer to saturate - and a few grains stick to the neck - but it works.

Generally - I pitch straight in with lower OG beers and rehydrate for higher OG beers where I'm more concerned with pitching rate.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2013, 01:27:33 pm »
I usually rehydrate because that's what the manufacturer says to do, and for me it's easier to pour into my carboy. 

I have normally rehydrated dry yeast simply because I didn't have a good way to get the yeast into the carboy through the neck.  To be honest, I didn't try sprinkling down the hole because I imagined it would either stick to the neck or stick to the sanitized funnel. 

the best trick I have found is to sprinkle the dry yeast on about a cup of warm pre-boiled water and wait till it... oh... nevermind.

If you have been rehydrating for that reason you should go ahead and keep doing it. or get some buckets.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline scottNU

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2013, 01:58:28 pm »

the best trick I have found is to sprinkle the dry yeast on about a cup of warm pre-boiled water and wait till it... oh... nevermind.

If you have been rehydrating for that reason you should go ahead and keep doing it. or get some buckets.

Fair enough.  Not worth worrying about. Go forth and propagate little yeasty friends.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2013, 02:30:40 pm »
For anyone who hasn't seen it yet, this is interesting:

http://seanterrill.com/2011/04/01/dry-yeast-viability/
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline bazowie

• Cellarman
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2013, 04:33:51 pm »

also, have you considered trying to get professional pitch packages? it would probably save you money at that scale. Or reusing/propogating.
I would but i only brew every  1-1/2 to 2 months and I use us-05 pretty much always, and there is no way to store a 500g brick so I just use the packets and rehydrate.
In dog beers I've had 1

Offline bazowie

• Cellarman
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2013, 04:35:31 pm »

It was a trick question (not really) just that is tells you how to rehydrate with 80deg water
In dog beers I've had 1

Offline Three

• Assistant Brewer
  • Avon, IN
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2013, 05:35:15 pm »

It was a trick question (not really) just that is tells you how to rehydrate with 80deg water

+1 on the temperature!

And +1 on how many more packages needed dry verses re-hydrated......

My trick question is this.  Are the folks that are just sprinkling the yeast in adjusting their pitching rates?
Anyone who sings a tune so sweet is passin by........

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2013, 05:50:47 pm »

+1 on the temperature!

And +1 on how many more packages needed dry verses re-hydrated......

My trick question is this.  Are the folks that are just sprinkling the yeast in adjusting their pitching rates?
You don't need to pitch extra S-05 because you didn't rehydrate.  I go by my OG - if I get ~ 1.065 or higher I"ll  use maybe an extra 1/2 packet, because of the gravity not because of sprinkling it dry.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 05:58:41 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.