Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: SN Bigfoot - Cloudy as it Ages?  (Read 4678 times)

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
SN Bigfoot - Cloudy as it Ages?
« on: February 05, 2010, 06:35:08 pm »
Just cracked into some of my 2008 Bigfoot stash. Its damned near opaque - all 12 bottles or so that I have seem to be this way. what is weird is that I recall that it was rather clear when I purchased them in Feb 08, and they have been refrigerated the entire time.

Anyone noticed this 'permanent chill haze' that appears as the beer ages?

FWIW, I have been 'collecting bigfoot since '02, though I only have '06 and up left, and I've not noticed this before.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 06:41:28 pm by blatz »
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline tfries

• Cellarman
  • Cheshire, OR
Re: SN Bigfoot - Cloudy as it Ages?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 10:25:25 pm »
I recently had a 12 year vertical tasting of Bigfoot at our house.  I served the beers at about 50 degrees, there was no sign of haze.

Cascade Brewers Society

Offline enso

• Brewer
  • Northeast Kingdom, VT
    • Bristle Bros. Brewing Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 07:47:02 pm »
That happened to me with some '07 I tried last year.  I think I have one bottle left.  I will check it out.

How did you store them?  Just asking because I assumed mine were cloudy do to being stroed in the back of the fridge.  Or, possibility number two is that previously they used the twist off caps?

However Tfries apparently did not have that...
Dave Brush

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 11:11:45 am »
tfries, I'd love to hear your opinion on the worthiness of aging Bigfoot that long...

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 12:10:10 pm »
Is it possible or likely that they had started to freeze at any point. That is really strange. I just had an '08 two weeks ago and I don't recall any haze.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 12:11:58 pm by bluesman »
Ron Price

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 03:13:04 pm »

So it is true!......Bigfoots feet are getting smaller with age!   ;D

Offline blatz

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 03:19:27 pm »
Is it possible or likely that they had started to freeze at any point. That is really strange. I just had an '08 two weeks ago and I don't recall any haze.

nah - not freezing - but close.  I have a separate fridge for bottled beer - its probably 35df in there, though I've never checked for certain.  In any event, I've started reading in various spots on line that <45-50df is not really ideal for long term storage and storage belows these temps can lead to chill haze.  so i guess I'll just have to live with it - its either 75df or 35df,  I ain't gonna get another temp controller!
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 06:16:17 pm »

nah - not freezing - but close.  I have a separate fridge for bottled beer - its probably 35df in there, though I've never checked for certain.  In any event, I've started reading in various spots on line that <45-50df is not really ideal for long term storage and storage belows these temps can lead to chill haze.  so i guess I'll just have to live with it - its either 75df or 35df,  I ain't gonna get another temp controller!

I keep thermometers that I checked against a lab therm in my chest freezer and my beer fridge. I like to keep tabs on the temps.

I think I paid less than ten bucks each for them at a kitchen store.
Ron Price

Offline blatz

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 09:12:26 pm »

I keep thermometers that I checked against a lab therm in my chest freezer and my beer fridge. I like to keep tabs on the temps.

I think I paid less than ten bucks each for them at a kitchen store.

I meant i am not going to buy another Ranco/Johnson controller...

Offline Beertracker

• Brewer
  • ExperiFermenting since 1994!
    • Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 10:27:14 pm »
I also recently held a twelve year vertical of SNBF at the homebrewery & noticed a few of the older vintages were cloudy. A couple even left film or rings in the bottle, but they were all older vintages with the "twist-off" crown caps. On a seperate note, I noticed the newer (2008+) "expeditions" had much better head retention & carbonation. I found it very interesting how the vintages have changed, as I looked over my old tasting notes. Anyone who reports that Bigfoot doesn't age well past a couple of years has obviously not had a 12 yr. old bottle before! whoa  :o

« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 10:40:08 pm by Beertracker »
CHEERS! Jeff
"A homebrewed beer is truly a superior beer." ~ "Buffalo" Bill Owens - American Brewer

Jeffrey Swearengin
Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
Tulsa, OK USA

Offline KingBrianI

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 10:00:12 am »
tfries, I'd love to hear your opinion on the worthiness of aging Bigfoot that long...

tfries and Beertracker, I would also be very interested to hear impressions and/or see tasting notes from the vertical tastings!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 10:07:49 am by KingBrianI »

Offline mikeypedersen

• Brewer
  • Longmont, CO
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 10:05:41 am »

tfries and BeerTracker, I would also be very interested to hear impressions and/or see tasting notes from the verticle tastings!
+1

Offline tfries

• Cellarman
  • Cheshire, OR
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2010, 11:39:17 am »
We had 5 people who participated in the tasting. After the tasting, we each ranked the beers first through third.  There was no clear winner, although, the 99 vintage got two first place votes. After that, it was scattered with 05, 04 and 02 each getting a first place vote.  In general, the range of 02-04 got the most votes.

Here are some of the comments.

98 - Dark fruit, raisiny, molasses flavor.  Slight tartness.  No hop flavor, good bitterness.
99 - More sweetness than 98. Bitterness and Sherry notes not as intense as 98. Very smooth mouthfeel.
00 - More fruit and bitterness than 99. Smooth and balanced.  Not as tart as the others.
01 - Tobacco and chocolate  notes in both aroma and flavor, lower hops. Earthy, coffee like. Vegital aroma.
02 - Smooth integrated caramel. Faint sherry notes.  Dry hopping noticeable. Lighter in color than others.
03 - Sweet on palate.  Not as bitter. Hops in the aroma.  Darker than others. Sharp bitterness lingers on back of palate.
04 - Malty marshmallow aroma.  Very malty.
05 - Vegital aroma.  Sharper, caramel more prevalent.  Good bitterness.  More carbonated than others
06 - Big ethanol aroma.  Ethanol/airplane glue in flavor.  Astringent bitterness. Harsh aftertaste.
07 - Rounded fruit balanced toward sweetness. Low aroma.  Slight oxidation.
08 - Balanced more toward sweetness than 07. Very little aroma.  More carbonation.  Pronounced bitterness. Not twist off.
09 - Sweetest yet, good carbonation, good foam, lower body. Sweeter aroma with some floral hops.  Lots of hop flavor and taste.

Cascade Brewers Society

Offline KingBrianI

• 1st Kit
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2010, 12:02:55 pm »
Thanks tfries.  It's great to drink vicariously through others! ;D