Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: how to connect to natural gas  (Read 5859 times)

Offline ocddot

• 1st Kit
how to connect to natural gas
« on: August 21, 2013, 07:04:35 pm »
I want to switch over to natural gas from propane. My brewstand is about 25ft from the nearest gas line.  Any one have any ideas how i connect my brew stand to the natural gas line? is their a hose i could get? I figure i could connect a it with hard pipe with a flex line on both ends, but i would prefer to use a hoe foe the entire length, so  i could roll it up. any ideas?

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: how to connect to natural gas
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 07:48:54 pm »
Try http://www.tejassmokers.com/NatGasHoses.htm.  I have not tried their hoses but I am happy with the burner I bought from them.

Offline Tim Thomssen

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 08:57:51 pm »
Your local home improvement center will have the hose you need, including a handy shutoff valve.  These are designed to hook up your gas grill and will be found in that section.  Works for me.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 12:36:01 am »
I bought a 20', 3/4"id flexible hose to power my system with NG.  Added a nipple and shut-off valve to the supply line for the furnace & water heater in the garage. QDs on both ends for easy hook up and break down.  It works great. Make sure you have adequate internal diameter on your supply lines to provide the cumulative BTUs your burners are rated for.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 05:24:19 am »
I bought a 20', 3/4"id flexible hose to power my system with NG.  Added a nipple and shut-off valve to the supply line for the furnace & water heater in the garage. QDs on both ends for easy hook up and break down.  It works great. Make sure you have adequate internal diameter on your supply lines to provide the cumulative BTUs your burners are rated for.

I've never found natural gas lines over 6' at the home centers.  There are sources online that sell longer lengths.  I think I've seen 20' available.  I've been toying with the same idea but need 45' - 50' of flexible line.  There is a custom hose company in town that can make one but I'm afraid to ask for a quote.  8^)  A local place would likely help you make sure you have all the right bits and pieces.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline gmwren

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 06:45:18 am »
Look for something called Corrugated Stainless Steel Tubing (CSST). It will have a yellow plastic covering. My local "Blue Box" home center sells a 25' kit that includes fittings, Teflon tape and leak check fluid.

Offline FlipMasterFlash

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 09:24:12 am »
Here is where I got mine and I'm quite happy with it. http://caloreequipment.com/  I'll reiterate what Pinski mentioned, be sure the length/diameter you select can support the BTU's of your burner(s).

Offline ocddot

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 12:10:38 pm »
will 1/2" pipe be large enough to handle to burners?

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 12:22:38 pm »
You haven't said what size your burners are, what size batches you are doing, what your supply pressure is, etc.  But I can do some handwaving.  A short run of 1/2" on the the brewstand is probably fine for 10-gal batches IME.  To the extent that you have a common supply line for both burners you may be happier with 3/4" for the common portion and 1/2" for the runs to the individual burner.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 01:36:33 pm »
The same general rule applies as running water lines.  Long main runs should be as big as possible, each branch line drops one size to maintain overall pressure in the system. 

There is real math involved in figuring out how big a line you need though and keep in mind most municipalities require natural gas work to be done by a licensed plumber (which I am not).

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline dcbc

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 02:21:49 pm »
I had about 20 feet of 3/4" black iron pipe run by a plumber from my meter and terminating at a ball valve at the corner of the garage.  I got some 3/4" air hose from Grainger rated for 200 psi (way more than will be seen from NG.  One end is connected to the brew stand, the other end has a gas quick disconnect purchased from McMaster-Carr that connects to the QD on the ball valve on the pipe.  The hose runs 15 feet to the brew stand.  This does a fine job of delivering gas to my 3 20 tip wok burners.

I have used this hose for well over two years without issue.  You can stand on it and it will keep its shape (but I try never to stand on it).  Of course, it is not stated in the product description that it can be used for natural gas.  But it has no problem handling with pressure and is only used as a jumper during brewing.  When the burners are not being used, the gas is turned off at the valve before the hose. 

As with anything, proceed with necessary caution. 

Link to the hose

https://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/search.shtml?searchQuery=3JT78&op=search&Ntt=3JT78&N=0&GlobalSearch=true&sst=subset

« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 02:28:53 pm by dcbc »
I've consumed all of my home brew and still can't relax!  Now what!

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2013, 10:11:18 pm »
Here is where I got mine and I'm quite happy with it. http://caloreequipment.com/  I'll reiterate what Pinski mentioned, be sure the length/diameter you select can support the BTU's of your burner(s).
Yep, I ordered mine from the same place. 
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline jjflash

• Assistant Brewer
  • New Mexico
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2013, 03:20:45 pm »
Try http://www.tejassmokers.com/NatGasHoses.htm.  I have not tried their hoses but I am happy with the burner I bought from them.

+1
Bought a long one from Tejas Smokers for my natural gas fired Blichmann Top Tier system.  Works perfect and pleased as punch with mine.
---JJ---

I don't know half of you half as well as I should, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
- Bilbo Baggins