Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Home Brew Supply Startup  (Read 10447 times)

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
Re: Home Brew Supply Startup
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2013, 11:20:52 am »
I was in a LHBS recently, mostly because I was in that area and need a couple minor items.  I was told by the owner that he doesn't carry lactic acid anymore since 5.2 came out and everyone is using that now.  ::)

A helper in the shop also told me the Bevflex 200 3/16" tubing is for gas, not for liquid.  So all this time I've been using the wrong tubing on my 6 tap kegerator.   ::) ::)

And finally I remember years ago him telling me the O2 absorbing bottle caps was a huge marketing ploy...so why does he sell them?   ::) ::) ::)

Moral of the story...know your facts because your customers are not as dumb as one would think.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2013, 12:50:41 pm »
I was on a tour somewhere, I forget where, and the tour guide found out me and a friend were homebrewers. She proceeded to tell us we must not have been very good because homebrewers always ask a lot of questions. Then I asked her if she could explain the metabolic pathways of the house yeast during anaerobic fermentation and to what extent that information played a role in selection of the house yeast. When she stared blankly at me I told her that was why I wasn't asking any questions. I know it was kind of douchey of me but her question was rude and wrong. It warranted an equally rude response.

EPIC. Luckily, the tour guides are pretty knowledgeable here in KC (and the acceptance of homebrewers is quite high). The last time I was on the Unfiltered Tour at Boulevard, the guide deferred some of the tour to me since he recognized me from our club's February competition. By the end of the tour, half of the questions were directed at me. Pretty weird, but kind of cool.  8)

Back on topic... for me, LHBS comes down to two things: availability to order what I want, when I want AND customer service. 'Nuff said.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline rustyl

• 1st Kit
« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2013, 07:31:22 pm »
I'm new to homebrewing and can only do extract right now. The staff at the place I go to is never condescending. Not only do they talk to me in terms of extract, they give me advice on how to make the most out of it and share tricks to change up the kits I'm limited to. I learn something new every time I go in there and feel comfortable grabbing a kit off the shelf. I'm never afraid to ask a question that they've known the answer to for years and don't have to feel like I should be an expert to go in there. New homebrewers are welcomed and embraced. That's why I go there.

Offline DrewG

• Brewer
  • Thread Killer
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2013, 08:52:18 am »
A big one for me is a well stocked, knowledgeable staff. I shop at Siciliano's in Grand Rapids. Hope the plug helps them out (is that OK? I didn't read the FAQ on this). They have a great selection of homebrewing stuff and it's an awesome liquor store, so the hours are wide open. They're active in the beer scene, sponsor competitions, etc. A real pleasure to do business with them. I think that you're going to be OK on this side of the business simply because you cared to ask.

Something that's also tremendously important is competitive pricing. The LHBS doesn't ahve to be THE lowest price on EVERY item, but be in the game. There is another store that I'll not visit again. I picked up a bunch of stuff for a party and slid by there home brew stuff. I didn't pay attention and paid about double for some Iodophor. I'll still buy beer there when it's convenient, but maybe I'll never purchase another brew supply item.

Good luck if you go forward with the new business!

I'm also a Sicilianos customer. Good shop, knowledgeable staff, good selection of ingredients. I know the other shop you speak of, and don't buy any homebrewing stuff there anymore either. Prices are nuts and every time i look at dates on liquid yeast I'm appalled at how old they are. 
"Well, the Mexicans got a saying - what cannot be remedied must be endured."

-Barbarosa