Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First Brett beer  (Read 1337 times)

cornershot

First Brett beer
« on: August 28, 2013, 01:03:13 pm »
I brewed a 1.100 barleywine braggot in January. Pitched wlp090 and it stalled at 1.050. So I pitched a big active starter of white labs high gravity ale yeast in hopes of finishing the job. Nothing. So I pitched Brett B. in secondary in an attempt to rescue the beer. Well it worked! 8 months later, the gravity(1.016) has been stable for 2 months, it is brilliantly clear and tastes amazing! I'm assuming it's ready to bottle. Anything I should know about bottling a Brett beer? Also, I'd like to try brewing another with Brett. Can I repitch and if so can I repitch the same as with sacc or is there a different procedure? Thanks in advance, sour brewers!

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: First Brett beer
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 08:06:41 am »
I think a brett beer might still have some ways to go if it is still at 1.016 but if it's been stable for two months it's probably going to be a slow ride any further down. So you're probably ok to bottle. You can bottle as normal. It may take a few weeks for the bottles to carbonate so you may want to add a little wine yeast in the bottling bucket to accelerate carbonation.

You can repitch from the cake but it's going to include whatever is still viable from the two sacc strains you initially pitched. Not necessarily a bad thing though.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing