Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Samuel Adams Ruby Mild  (Read 3325 times)

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Samuel Adams Ruby Mild
« on: August 27, 2013, 07:56:25 pm »
This beer is included in the current Samuel Adams Harvest Collection variety pack.

Brewer description: Inspired by mild ales of the English railway boom, Samuel Adams Ruby Mild is a smooth, sweet, malty brew with a hint of ruby color and delicate hop note.

SRM 11
IBU 20
ABV 5.7%

At 5.7% this beer is no mild. However, despite being mislabeled, I really like it. The beer has a great mix of fruity esters and caramel malt flavors.  Sam Adam color description is right on. This is a very pretty beer with great clarity. Overall, I found myself wishing for more than 2 bottles of Ruby Mild in this mix pack.

Meanwhile, I continue to wait for good commercial milds and session beers for days when I want to cut calories but still want a beer.

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Re: Samuel Adams Ruby Mild
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 09:29:06 am »
At 5.7% this beer is no mild.

Mild's being low in alcohol is a more recent occurrence - they were much stronger in the 1800s (5%+)

Will look for this one - thanks for the head's up!
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 10:55:55 am »
I have had Hardy and Hanson's Cursed Galleon Mild at 5.5% in Nottingham. Might not be brewed anymore.

Then there is Sarah Hughes Dark Ruby Mild at 6.0% ABV.

Those are extreme for today, but there were much stronger molds in Victorian times.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 11:22:27 am »
I have had Hardy and Hanson's Cursed Galleon Mild at 5.5% in Nottingham. Might not be brewed anymore.

Then there is Sarah Hughes Dark Ruby Mild at 6.0% ABV.

Those are extreme for today, but there were much stronger molds in Victorian times.

indeed a XXX mild could run 1.100+ for OG
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 12:22:10 pm »
Sounds like mild can describe a large range of beers. My original comment is based on the BJCP category 11A Mild. This definition of milds describes beers with ABV between 2.8-4.5%.

I have had some very tasty home-brewed beers which fit into BJCP 11A. I would like commercial brewers to offer some also.

Mind you I am in Mississippi so I don't have a great selection to draw from at the beer store.  Maybe these beers just aren't being sold here.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 01:16:42 pm »
Sounds like mild can describe a large range of beers. My original comment is based on the BJCP category 11A Mild. This definition of milds describes beers with ABV between 2.8-4.5%.

I have had some very tasty home-brewed beers which fit into BJCP 11A. I would like commercial brewers to offer some also.

Mind you I am in Mississippi so I don't have a great selection to draw from at the beer store.  Maybe these beers just aren't being sold here.

yeah, modern milds are session beers. There really aren't a lot of breweries on this side of the pond that are packaging milds. I guess that's not totally out of line as mild was, and is still to some extent anyway, a cask conditioned beer.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 03:26:33 pm »
Heck, I had a hard time finding cask milds on my last trip to England.  They may not be common anywhere but the Midlands, much less the Southern U.S.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995