Author Topic: Why didn't anyone tell me?  (Read 4241 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Milford, MI
    • View Profile
Re: Why didn't anyone tell me?
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2013, 04:41:29 AM »
BIAB is the cheapest way to go all grain.

This is more, get a blue cooler (forum joke).
http://hbd.org/cascade/dennybrew/

Even more is a 3 vessel system with all the bells and whistles.

The is a really good group of gals and guys in the Cass River Homebrew Club, hope that is not too far for you.

http://crhbc.com/pages/about-us.php

Jeff Rankert
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild, AHA Member, BJCP Certified
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Online theDarkSide

• Brewmaster General
  • Derry, NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2013, 05:12:09 AM »
You know, I can't help but feel cry baby-ish about this topic,  but where I live, I am the only homebrewer I know and, in my excitement to finally meet someone else and have conversation, I was really taken aback by the reception I received.

Come to NHC in Grand Rapids next June and you'll be exposed to nearly 4000 new friends who definitely consider you a brewer!!

Only 286 days to go!  ;D

It's not a joke...it's science!!  ;D
Sergeant - BNArmy Member
AHA Member
Seacoast Homebrew Club Member
https://www.facebook.com/SeacoastHomebrewClub
Stephen M.
------------------------------------------------

Offline rustyl

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2013, 06:18:07 AM »
 Wow everyone. Thank you all again for the great posts and support.

Offline rustyl

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2013, 06:22:28 AM »
The is a really good group of gals and guys in the Cass River Homebrew Club, hope that is not too far for you.

[/quote]

Not too far. I know Milford very well. I work very closely with the village and township.  I'll look you guys up.

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2013, 06:26:24 AM »

Dude Jeff, you could have told the guy I'm from Flint. I sent you a PM buddy.  :D
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Milford, MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2013, 08:10:38 AM »

Dude Jeff, you could have told the guy I'm from Flint. I sent you a PM buddy.  :D
I just figured you were going to show up soon, Mike.

Hey Rusty, if you see those guys again, and they are bragging about all grain, ask them about how they do triple decoctions or turbid mashes.  :)
Jeff Rankert
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild, AHA Member, BJCP Certified
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline narvin

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Baltimore
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2013, 08:18:13 AM »
They sound like a bunch of bratty n00bs.  I always encourage people to go all grain because some think it's harder than it actually is, but there are space/money/time limitations that you need to prioritize.  Sounds like you're already well on your way to it, and are already brewing great beer.
Please do not reply if your an evil alien!
Thanks
Chris S.

Offline FirstStateBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
    • First State Brewers
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2013, 08:25:57 AM »
I brewed extract for 20 years.  Only switched over to all-grain about 3 years ago.  While I was still extract brewing, someone said to me I wasn't really brewing unless I went all-grain.  I replied that it was funny how I had 6 kegs of beer on tap at home that I guess I hadn't actually brewed.  He conceded my point.   8)
Scott B

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • I must live here
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2013, 08:38:57 AM »
You know, I can't help but feel cry baby-ish about this topic,  but where I live, I am the only homebrewer I know and, in my excitement to finally meet someone else and have conversation, I was really taken aback by the reception I received. I take my process very seriously and have an "all grain fund" building slowly.  Because that has been my goal from the start. I must have read How to Brew five times before I bought a single thing. I really appreciate the responses I got from you guys because it was pretty discouraging.  Normally,  I'd stand up and put jokers like that in their place,  but it did actually make me wonder how extract brewers are viewed among the masses.  What a great community this is! Thanks again.

FWIW, all grain doesn't have to be expensive.  Check out www.dennybrew.com
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2013, 09:43:52 AM »
I'll just echo what everybody else has said.  A member of the club I belong to won the Texas Bluebonnet competition with an extract brew.  I have a friend here who brews all grain but his beers generally are subpar because he racks to kegs in either 7 or 14 days depending on the OG of the beer and ferments everything at room temp(over 75F ambient) and he refuses to listen or read any recent brewing literature. 
In my opinion the most important aspects of brewing take place post boil so it really doesn't matter where you get the wort.
Like an earlier poster I brewed extract w/grains for several years until I quit my full time job and became a consultant.  I also had less money for a while but a whole lot more time to dedicate to brewing and drinking.  My first 6 years of all grain brewing were essentially wasted because I had no idea fermentation temp control made much difference.  That was the the concept that changed the quality of my beer, not how I produced the wort.
I'd really just rather be brewing in sunny Carlsbad New Mexico

Offline bluesman

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2013, 09:52:58 AM »
Well you've officially found the source for all of your homebrewing questions right here on this forum. Welcome to the AHA forum, where you'll find answers to most, if not all of your homebrewing questions, AND the support of your fellow homebrewers as opposed to your barroom expereience.

Stick around and join in on the fun here. :)
Ron Price

Offline AmandaK

• Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2013, 10:22:30 AM »
P.S.  I'm betting their beer wasn't that great.

I was going to say the same thing.

My thoughts exactly. For them to think that all-grain is the only way of brewing simply shows their complete lack of knowledge and unnecessarily giant egos (over what, making beer?? give me a break).

Hang out here a bit more, and you'll see that we're not all like that nor do we all think like that.  ;D

A parallel: I ride motorcycles, sport motorcycles.  You won't ever find me doing wheelies on the highway, revving my engine at a stoplight or wearing a mohawk on my helmet. You'll find me (and plenty of other motorcyclists) wearing all my gear - all the time, not cutting through small gaps in traffic and simply sitting at a stoplight without revving my engine. It is the former group that seems to give the sport riders a bad rap.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 10:24:09 AM by AmandaK »
Amanda Kertz
Kansas City Bier Meister
BJCP National

Redbird Brewhouse - Current Project: Full Basement Bar Build

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2013, 10:35:12 AM »

I just figured you were going to show up soon, Mike.

Hey Rusty, if you see those guys again, and they are bragging about all grain, ask them about how they do triple decoctions or turbid mashes.  :)

Well it just would have been nice if you were like, Hey I know this awesome, super great brewer from Flint. He makes the best beer I've ever tasted and is awesome.

You know, something like that ;-)

By the way, if you go dennybrew (which is a great way) be prepared to spend the rest of your life thinking every time you go in Lowes or HD, what can I buy that I can use in my mash tun or Boil kettle.
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2013, 10:45:27 AM »
By the way, if you go dennybrew (which is a great way) be prepared to spend the rest of your life thinking every time you go in Lowes or HD, what can I buy that I can use in my mash tun or Boil kettle.

My wife no longer allows me to go into home depot alone.
In a Keg: Flanders Red Ale, Rye Altbier, Cascade/Topaz Pale
Fermenting: Flanders Red, Saison

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • I must live here
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2013, 10:51:41 AM »

My wife no longer allows me to go into home depot alone.

I've gotten to the point where I can visualize the entire plumbing dept. of my local home improvement store in my head.  I have my route planned before I walk in the door!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe