Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yeast nutient questions?  (Read 5908 times)

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
Yeast nutient questions?
« on: August 29, 2013, 05:16:17 pm »
After attending the cider seminar at the AHA conference I want to give it another try.
The recipe says to use Fermaid-k and DAP.
I have wyeast yeast nutrient can I just use that?
Dan S. from NJ

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: Yeast nutient questions?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 05:39:54 pm »
What is in your yeast nutrient?  Going from memory, Fermaid-K has micronutrients like vitamins and trace minerals while DAP is diammonium phosphate, a source or nitrogen and phosphorous.  If your yeast nutrient has got all those things then you are good to go.  FYI, I haven't listened to the cider seminar yet, but I doubt there is something specific to cider that I'm missing.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 05:42:39 pm »
What is in your yeast nutrient?  Going from memory, Fermaid-K has micronutrients like vitamins and trace minerals while DAP is diammonium phosphate, a source or nitrogen and phosphorous.  If your yeast nutrient has got all those things then you are good to go.  FYI, I haven't listened to the cider seminar yet, but I doubt there is something specific to cider that I'm missing.
+1
Jon H.

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 06:04:14 pm »
Seems like it should work OK.
From the wyeast website:
http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_productdetail.cfm?ProductID=15
Product:   Supplemental nutrients for propagation & brewing
Description:

A blend of vitamins, minerals, inorganic nitrogen, organic nitrogen, zinc, phosphates and other trace elements that will benefit yeast growth and complete fermentation. Additional nutrients are most valuable during yeast propagation and sluggish or stuck fermentations. Supplementing with nutrients will reduce lag time, improve viability and provide consistent attenuation rates.
Dan S. from NJ

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 07:59:21 pm »
Fermaid K contains nitrogen, nutrients, and yeast hulls. It's a well balanced meal. DAP is just a source of nitrogen (Fermaid K contains DAP as a nitrogen source). DAP is candy. Typically, Fermaid K is added early to make sure the yeast are healthy. DAP is added later if needed to make sure the yeast finish the fermentation job. WYeast nutrient is probably a fine sub for Fermaid K.

Adding nutrients can make a significant difference in the amount of sulfur yeast produce in cider. I smell mine every day. If I notice sulfur, add some nutrients and it's gone in a few hours.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline albionwood

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 08:53:30 pm »
I never add nutrient of any kind.  Traditional cidermaking tries to slow down fermentation as much as possible, and many great ciders are made with low-N fruit from unfertilized orchards. 

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 05:36:04 am »
I never add nutrient of any kind.  Traditional cidermaking tries to slow down fermentation as much as possible, and many great ciders are made with low-N fruit from unfertilized orchards.

+1 -- no nutrient necessary.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 07:13:14 am »
I would agree to a point. I've made great cider with no nutrients and underpitched yeast with slow, cold fermentation. But I've made cider with commercial yeast fermented warm and fast where the lack of nutrients stressed the yeast to the point they produced significant sulfur which didn't age out. 
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 07:21:06 am »
I would agree to a point. I've made great cider with no nutrients and underpitched yeast with slow, cold fermentation. But I've made cider with commercial yeast fermented warm and fast where the lack of nutrients stressed the yeast to the point they produced significant sulfur which didn't age out.

this has been my experience as well, with only a few exceptions.