Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dry hopping sours  (Read 3335 times)

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Dry hopping sours
« on: August 29, 2013, 05:49:57 pm »
I dry hopped ~3.5 gallons of a sour with 1.5 oz of homegrown Cascades.  No dryhop flavor after 2 weeks in the keg.  Now I see why Denny talks about acidity lowering hop expression.  Are my hops bunk or is dryhopping sours a waste of time?

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: Dry hopping sours
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 08:00:51 pm »
My only experience is a dry hopped berliner weisse my friend made and it was great.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline lornemagill

• Assistant Brewer
  • Austin/Round Rock, TX
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 08:14:57 pm »
I have never dry hopped a sour but, new belgiums le terrior is dry hopped with amarillo and its great.  I don't know how they do it though.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 09:37:00 am »
Have you used those hops in other beers? Do you know how assertive the flavor is in your hops?

Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 09:49:31 am »
Have you used those hops in other beers? Do you know how assertive the flavor is in your hops?

I should have mentioned that the hops are from my first pickings for 2013 so I have not used them before.  I picked selectively earlier than I have ever had, but the hops appeared to be ready earlier than previous years.  I recently did a second picking, but most of the hops are still on the vine.

narvin

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 09:55:06 am »
Wort acidity in the boil lowers the bitterness (or the expression of bitterness?) extracted from hops. However, I don't know if it affects the aroma and other oils and compounds that would be extracted from dry hopping.  Could be that the sour is also overwhelming hop flavor.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 10:11:33 am »
Maybe I'm expecting too much of some dryhops.  The beer (Kentucky Common) had almost not hop character before dryhopping, just some background bitterness.  Now there is a faint citrus odor.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 10:43:21 am »
I find that Citra works really well with a sour beer. I would start with 1.5-3oz range and go from there. Intensity of dry hop flavor is subjective to the taster, so go with more or less depending.
Ron Price

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 09:07:43 am »
FWIW, I think my Cascades are weak.  After boiling a wort, I split it into 3 equal portions and did a hopstand with each portion with 4 oz of homegrown whole Cascades, 2 oz of Citra, 2 oz of Summit, respectively.  The Cascade split is tasty but nowhere near the intensity of the Citra and Summit.  Obviously the Citra and Summit are very powerful hops, but I thought I that doubling the Cascade would somewhat compensate.

Offline monkeypimp

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 02:59:43 pm »
FWIW, I think my Cascades are weak.  After boiling a wort, I split it into 3 equal portions and did a hopstand with each portion with 4 oz of homegrown whole Cascades, 2 oz of Citra, 2 oz of Summit, respectively.  The Cascade split is tasty but nowhere near the intensity of the Citra and Summit.  Obviously the Citra and Summit are very powerful hops, but I thought I that doubling the Cascade would somewhat compensate.

Were the Cascade hops still wet hops or were they dried?

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2013, 03:02:49 pm »

Were the Cascade hops still wet hops or were they dried?

They were dried (over 3-4 days between window screens).