General Category > Commercial Beer Reviews

Commercial Saisons

(1/6) > >>

bigchicken:
My new home has no basement, so I plan to try brewing some beers I can ferment on the high side, such as a Saison. Problem is, I can't remember having a commercial version before. I want to find some versions to try that I can then try to brew. So, what are your favorite Saisons and have you found or created a comparable recipe?

lornemagill:
try hennepin by ommegang.  its one of my favorites.  or wait 3 months, wont it be cool in nebraska

bigchicken:

--- Quote from: lornemagill on August 29, 2013, 07:23:58 PM ---try hennepin by ommegang.  its one of my favorites.  or wait 3 months, wont it be cool in nebraska

--- End quote ---

Oh yeah, I'll be brewing plenty this winter. Unfortunately, my stock is low enough now I need to (gasp!) buy beer! I can't stand it!  :D
I figured the heat would be a good enough excuse to try to brew something different than I'm used to brewing.

erockrph:
If you can get a fresh, unskunked Saison DuPont, that's probably the gold standard. Boulevard Tank 7 is a damn good example as well. I know Ommegang markets Hennepin as a Saison, but they use their house yeast strain as opposed to a true saison strain, so it ends up tasting more like a Belgian Golden to me.

rainmaker:
Lots of solid samples out there. Saison dupont is prime. Prairie brewing, Stillwater brewing, and Upright brewing all do solid Saisons.

Personally, I don't consider Hennepin a true Saison. Tank 7 is certain (in my opinion) the best American Saison. For Saisons with character and additions, it's hard to beat Stillwater. Their cellar door is incredible.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version