Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Commercial Saisons  (Read 10384 times)

Offline bigchicken

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lincoln, NE
Re: Commercial Saisons
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2013, 11:49:47 am »
So big chicken, whereabouts do you reside, I 'm in the western side of the state.

I recently moved to the big city of Lincoln.

Speaking as a fellow Nebraskan, Tank 7 and Funkwerks are the 2 best commercial saisons inside the state borders, IMHO. Others would be Goose Island Sofie, Sierra Nevada Ovila, and Hennepin.  I don't particulary care for the DuPont 'skunk' but worth a try if you have never had it.

Keep the grist simple and spices small.  The spice should come more from the yeast.  Good luck.

I just tried a bottle of DuPont in the green bottle. Definitely had some skunk in there. I'm really liking the Tank 7. I'm still working on a recipe, but I'm taking your advice of letting the yeast work its spicy magic.
TJ Cook

On Deck: Planning
Fermenting: Nothing
In bottles: It's All About MEAD!

Offline Jarhno

• Cellarman
  • You can call me John. (Portland, OR.)
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2013, 11:09:26 am »
If you can get a fresh, unskunked Saison DuPont, that's probably the gold standard. Boulevard Tank 7 is a damn good example as well. I know Ommegang markets Hennepin as a Saison, but they use their house yeast strain as opposed to a true saison strain, so it ends up tasting more like a Belgian Golden to me.
+1 to all of this.

+10. These guys know what they're talking about.
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.  - Frank Zappa

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2013, 12:41:34 pm »
The iO Saison from the Jolly Pumpkin DESTROYS.  I'll do unforgivable things to get my hands on that beer.

Like trade some west coast goodies for it?  ;D

Its normally available at my local better bottle shop. I'll have to pick on up (along with some Dark Dawn)!
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2013, 12:55:28 pm »
Lots of solid samples out there. Saison dupont is prime. Prairie brewing, Stillwater brewing, and Upright brewing all do solid Saisons.

Personally, I don't consider Hennepin a true Saison. Tank 7 is certain (in my opinion) the best American Saison. For Saisons with character and additions, it's hard to beat Stillwater. Their cellar door is incredible.

I REALLY enjoy Upright's stuff.

I picked up a single of Stillwater's Stateside and it was ROUGH - high alcohols, phenolics, all-in-all poor fermentation. Haven't tried Cellar Door...

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2013, 01:03:56 pm »
Lots of solid samples out there. Saison dupont is prime. Prairie brewing, Stillwater brewing, and Upright brewing all do solid Saisons.

Personally, I don't consider Hennepin a true Saison. Tank 7 is certain (in my opinion) the best American Saison. For Saisons with character and additions, it's hard to beat Stillwater. Their cellar door is incredible.

I REALLY enjoy Upright's stuff.

I picked up a single of Stillwater's Stateside and it was ROUGH - high alcohols, phenolics, all-in-all poor fermentation. Haven't tried Cellar Door...

I have had Stateside and it was pretty good.  It's a local beer for me though.  I think the bottle you got was mishandled, Kyle, not poorly fermented.  Cellar Door is very good as well.  For me Dupont on tap IS the gold standard.  I do like JPs offerings a lot too.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline andyi

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2013, 01:27:14 pm »
I just had a Magic Hat Séance dark saison.  Didn't know what to expect but it hits all the basics on the BJCP guidelines with the additional  touch of roastiness.  At 4.5% it drinks easy.

+1 on the Stillwater. Great beers.

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2013, 12:31:43 pm »
^ Definitely enough positive feedback to try more from Stillwater.

Every once in awhile - you just get a bad bottle!

narvin

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2013, 01:03:12 pm »
Stillwater's beers are also made in many different places.  The year-round beers just switched to a new contract brewery in Connecticut, so who knows if that changed anything.  Special releases are still made either in Baltimore or at a brewery where he's gypsy-ing.

Offline etbrew

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2013, 05:41:19 am »
I agree with recomendations for Stillwater and I love Tank 7 and Dupont.  I recently had a dry hopped version of the Dupont (I can't remember what it was called) and it was awsome. 

I don't know if you can get it your area but Mystic Brewery makes some killer Saisons.  They are in I believe Chelsea MA.  I have tried evey one of their beers I could get my hands on a loved them all.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2013, 07:07:37 am »
I agree with recomendations for Stillwater and I love Tank 7 and Dupont.  I recently had a dry hopped version of the Dupont (I can't remember what it was called) and it was awsome. 

I've had this on tap a couple times at my "local" and really enjoy it.  I think they call in "Dry Hopped Saison Du Pont."  At least that's what the chalk board said.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2013, 04:07:13 pm »
I think Funkwerks out of Ft Collins just made it into Nebraska. Their regular Saison got a gold at the GABF last year - and they won small brewery of the year.
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2013, 06:36:37 am »
I think Funkwerks out of Ft Collins just made it into Nebraska. Their regular Saison got a gold at the GABF last year - and they won small brewery of the year.

You are correct sir. I'm going to start having my sister run me some FW across the state line when she moves up there.

FWIW, Tank 7 is still the ultimate saison for me.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2013, 08:18:01 am »
I'd be very happy if Funkwerks began distribution in Texas, even if it was just their standard saison.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline bigchicken

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lincoln, NE
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2013, 08:29:12 am »

You are correct sir. I'm going to start having my sister run me some FW across the state line when she moves up there.

FWIW, Tank 7 is still the ultimate saison for me.

Looks like I'll be making another trip to the store to try to find the Funkwerks. I did get to try a Saison fermented in a gin barrel at Upstream Brewery recently. It wasn't great, but not bad either. So far Tank 7 is the one I'm liking the best.
TJ Cook

On Deck: Planning
Fermenting: Nothing
In bottles: It's All About MEAD!

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2015, 07:22:07 am »
Finally got to try FunkWerks.  It is for sure worth a visit if you get the chance.
The Saison was so nice flavorful and clean...if that is a word you can use with saision.
Had the bbl aged quad and it stood out as a great beer also.  I liked the strong belgian golden
and the apricot saison as well.   Had to drive so had to stop tasting.
 ;D
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.