Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cooler for all grain  (Read 9056 times)

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
Re: Cooler for all grain
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2013, 10:28:50 am »
I have a two gallon cooler I use for most of my three gallon and smaller batches. I have a round ten gallon cooler for bigger batches. I got the ten gallon cooler because people kept saying I would want to be able to brew bigger and bigger batches. I didn't. It's fine that I have the capacity to mash a large batch but the problem is on smaller batches where the cooler is half full it loses temperature faster than a more full mash tun.

Several months back I moved from a 5-gallon round cooler to a 9-gallon rectangular Coleman Xtreme (blue :-) ) for my small batches, which are generally in the 2.5 - 3.5 gal range. The reason it works is I'm not sparging (part of a general effort to streamline the brewing day, plus I'm liking the results).  But it seems for someone doing typical 5-gallon batches and sparging, 70 qt seems typical.  5-gallon feels like a squeeze.
I use a 9 gallon and it's good for 5 gallon batches up to about 1.080, but then it gets tight.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2013, 11:07:08 am »
I use a 40 quart igloo marine rectangular - with a slight adaptation of the Dennybraid (copper elbow with silicone sleeve and SS dryer lint filter) -  but I made one drastic move to improve my efficiency - my cooler is WHITE!!!  (I know - sacrilege).  I hope my Bo Pils turns out okay.  ;)

Apparently you didn't enjoy the sack of grain that magically appeared in your blue cooler every 4 or 5 brews.  :P

Is that what happens with those blue ones?  My LHBS said I should be happy with my efficiency improving from 42% to 51% - hey, it's a majority!

Yeah, that's the magic! 52%? You may want to look into crushing those grains a bit finer.
Frank

Offline mripa

• 1st Kit
  • Beer
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2013, 12:59:52 pm »
I use a Coleman rectangle cooler.  Works good and is easy to stir grain.  Got all parts at Lowes.  Make sure to get silicone hose to drain wort from LHBS.  Lowes doesn't carry it. 

Offline jrp5u

• 1st Kit
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2013, 10:11:37 am »
What do you guys think of the Coleman xtreme marine 70 quart cooler?  I seem to be finding better deals on that one right now and is supposed to be (at least according to Coleman and some reviewers) a higher quality cooler than the Coleman xtreme.

Offline mripa

• 1st Kit
  • Beer
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2013, 06:23:15 pm »
My cooler is an old red coleman from the 1990's that was sitting in the garage for 20 years....Holds temperature perfect....

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2013, 04:00:59 pm »
If you go with the Coleman Xtreme 70 quart,

Buy this one (older version). - http://coleman.com/product/70-quart-xtremereg-5-cooler/6270A748?contextCategory=8581#.UiZaXNI3vAk

Not this one (newer version). - http://coleman.com/product/70-quart-xtremereg-cooler/3000001836?contextCategory=8581#.UiZaStI3vAk

I had used a buddies older version and loved it. Ordered the newer version thinking it wouldn't matter much. D'oh! The drain channel is not very deep and the drain is higher. I have ordered the old one and will post a side by side comparison.

The new version is not a bad cooler, it just does not work well with a bulkhead + bazooka tube setup. Nearly a gallon was left behind in the tun without tipping.

Any cooler with a drain will work great with Denny's hose braid setup.

Edit: Mixed up my links

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2013, 04:13:30 pm »
If you go with the Coleman Xtreme 70 quart,

Buy this one (older version). - http://coleman.com/product/70-quart-xtremereg-5-cooler/6270A748?contextCategory=8581#.UiZaXNI3vAk

Not this one (newer version). - http://coleman.com/product/70-quart-xtremereg-cooler/3000001836?contextCategory=8581#.UiZaStI3vAk

I had used a buddies older version and loved it. Ordered the newer version thinking it wouldn't matter much. D'oh! The drain channel is not very deep and the drain is higher. I have ordered the old one and will post a side by side comparison.

The new version is not a bad cooler, it just does not work well with a bulkhead + bazooka tube setup. Nearly a gallon was left behind in the tun without tipping.

Any cooler with a drain will work great with Denny's hose braid setup.

Edit: Mixed up my links

seems like the simple solution is to tip the cooler no? I mean if you can get the old version find but if you can't I wouldn't worry to much. I tip the cooler anyway.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Stevie

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2013, 04:24:09 pm »
seems like the simple solution is to tip the cooler no? I mean if you can get the old version find but if you can't I wouldn't worry to much. I tip the cooler anyway.

I don't want to tip. That is one of the features that drove me to upgrade. That and 30lb + capacity.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2013, 04:52:15 pm »

I don't want to tip. That is one of the features that drove me to upgrade. That and 30lb + capacity.

I don't mean to harp but why? mostly just curios now I must say.

Before I fill my mash tun with anything I put a little piece of wood underneath the non-drain end. Done. dead space = 0 (unless I get impatient and don't wait for it to all drain out).
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2013, 04:59:02 pm »
+1 .  I use a piece of 2x4 to raise the end as well.  I leave less than a quart behind, and hit OGs pretty consistently.
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2013, 05:07:51 pm »

I don't mean to harp but why? mostly just curios now I must say.

Before I fill my mash tun with anything I put a little piece of wood underneath the non-drain end. Done. dead space = 0 (unless I get impatient and don't wait for it to all drain out).

Mainly because I have my tun on an Ikea nightstand or two kegs while brewing . But truly, just because I don't want to.

I used a fellow GBA'ers tun, loved it, and said to myself "I want that." I went into building this tun with a specific expectation and it wasn't met, so I am returning one for the other. If Walmart won't take it back, I'll live with it.

The newer version is a fine cooler, just not exactly what I wanted.

Offline malzig

• Brewer
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2013, 05:42:23 pm »
A dip tube will solve dead space problems.  For the cheap and simple solution, just attach the braid to one end of a few inches of copper tubing and run the other end through a bung in the drain hole.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2013, 06:34:04 pm »
I use a 40 quart igloo marine rectangular - with a slight adaptation of the Dennybraid (copper elbow with silicone sleeve and SS dryer lint filter) -  but I made one drastic move to improve my efficiency - my cooler is WHITE!!!  (I know - sacrilege).  I hope my Bo Pils turns out okay.  ;)

Apparently you didn't enjoy the sack of grain that magically appeared in your blue cooler every 4 or 5 brews.  :P

Is that what happens with those blue ones?  My LHBS said I should be happy with my efficiency improving from 42% to 51% - hey, it's a majority!

Yeah, that's the magic! 52%? You may want to look into crushing those grains a bit finer.

Ha! Crushing grains?  What do you mean...Just kidding.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2013, 07:11:02 pm »

Ha! Crushing grains?  What do you mean...Just kidding.

Yeah...You use a big hammer!
Frank

Offline clef051

• 1st Kit
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2013, 08:25:36 pm »

So can I spray paint my white cooler blue for the sack of grain? 8) :P

I use a rectangle igloo qt igloo for 10 - 15 gal batches.