Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Alcohol taste  (Read 1626 times)

Offline beerlord

• Cellarman
Alcohol taste
« on: August 31, 2013, 09:46:28 pm »
Just took another small taste test of a clone of Stone's Sublimely Self Righteous and though it's not 100% carbed, it's close. However, it's got a strong alcohol taste. It was supposed to come out at about 9% which I would understand would have some of that but mine, unless I measured one of both readings incorrectly, came out at just under 6.5%. (I had too much water and didn't have time to boil it all off so I was off a good bit from expected OG)

It did hit 72-73 for a short while after I pitched US-04 and it started fermenting but I got it down to 66 in just a few hours. I'm thinking fusel alcohol though I pitched the correct amount of yeast. It's not bad but the alcohol is covering up the flavor. It's within the range listed on the package but I'm not sure how long it stayed at 72-73 but no more than a few hours.

Is it likely that time will help with this taste dissipate?

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Alcohol taste
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 09:54:39 pm »
It is possible that the alcohol will mellow with age.  It often does... but not always.  Even at 6.5%, it is not uncommon to be able to taste some alcohol.  And if that's all you're at, I'd say that the alcohol will likely improve with a little age.  Maybe give it 4 to 6 months and see how it is then.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 07:13:19 am »
Yup, fusel alcohol is a pretty good guess and it will probably mellow out if its not that bad but it will take a little time to condition out. Leave it alone for a few weeks and give another a try then.
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline beerlord

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 03:31:25 pm »
I appreciate the suggestions.  I guess my main concern is how I got the fusel alcohol.  Obviously the temps went higher than my gauge indicated???????
Never had this happen to me in all my years of brewing even when I know things got too hot.  Guess I'm still batting a great average and will just sit and wait and taste every few weeks to see how it comes out.  Got a few bottled but I doubt that will improve.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 03:58:13 pm »
It's most likely a fermentation temperature thing.  Could also be that you got yourself some bum yeast.  It's rare with dry yeast but it can happen.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.