Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pumpkin spice to the bottling bucket or secondary?  (Read 8881 times)

Offline Herminator

• Assistant Brewer
  • Beer | Metal | No Masters
Pumpkin spice to the bottling bucket or secondary?
« on: September 23, 2013, 09:17:57 am »
I recently brewed a robust pumpkin porter.  I am a week away from bottling this brew but I have a quick question.  If I am looking for more pumpkin spice flavor and aroma should I add it to the secondary (as we would with hops) or to the bottling bucket.

I am concerned about adding it to the bottling bucket because I don't want the spices floating around...but if that is what is suggested, I will do that.

Thanks.
Hermen D.
Muerte Brewing

Offline tcanova

• Assistant Brewer
  • Fayetteville Arkansas
Re: Pumpkin spice to the bottling bucket or secondary?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 09:21:49 am »
I add mine a week before packaging.  This should allow the spices to sink to the bottom.
What's the worst that could happen?  Beer?

Wooo Pig Sooiee

cornershot

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 09:23:46 am »
I did this last week. I boiled spices for 5 minutes to make a tea and to remove the oxygen from the water. I then cooled and mixed it in at the end of primary fermentation.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 09:25:47 am »
If you are adding the spices right in then do it in the fermenter so you can rack off of them when the flavor reaches the level you like. If you've made a tincture/extract of the spices then you can add it to either the fermenter or bottling bucket. In that case start on the lower end then adjust to taste.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

cornershot

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 09:53:54 am »
Some additional thoughts on adding spices post fermentation.
Adding an extract to the finished beer is the best way to get just the right flavor. But by adding a measured amount, you can record it in your notes and just add it to the kettle next time.
Also I wouldn't add dry spice to the beer out of a fear of what might be living in it. Another reason to boil it.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 09:56:03 am »
Adding an extract to the finished beer is the best way to get just the right flavor. But by adding a measured amount, you can record it in your notes and just add it to the kettle next time.

I think you'd have very different effects between adding it post fermentation and to the kettle.  If you add it to the kettle, you'll likely get more flavor and less aroma than you would post fermentation.  If that's the case, not only the effects, but the amounts, would be different.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 10:12:53 am »

I think you'd have very different effects between adding it post fermentation and to the kettle.  If you add it to the kettle, you'll likely get more flavor and less aroma than you would post fermentation.  If that's the case, not only the effects, but the amounts, would be different.

+1, also cooked spices taste quite different than raw spices. This is actually the secret to great indian food at home, cook the spices.

be careful with tinctures of woody spices like cinnamon because you can also extract tannins if you leave it too long.

That being said, your best bet post fermentation is going to be a tincture. Or dry spice. The risk of infection is real but not that significant. Use a sanitized hop bag or tea ball to contain the spices, don't grind any of them too fine and drop in primary after fermentation has settled down or secondary if you are doing a secondary.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Herminator

• Assistant Brewer
  • Beer | Metal | No Masters
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 10:24:35 am »
Awesome information.  Thanks a lot everyone. 
Hermen D.
Muerte Brewing

cornershot

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 11:10:59 am »

On second thought you're probably right, Denny. If I like the way it tastes with a secondary addition, I should probably go with a secondary addition next time.  :)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 11:20:02 am »

+1, also cooked spices taste quite different than raw spices.

Between you and Denny, you have nailed it.

I've spiced both with a tincture and adding the spices to the kettle and I prefer spices added to the kettle.  Particularly with a pumpkin beer I think that the flavors you're looking for are those of spices that have been cooked.

The tincture method to me just never tastes right and I believe that is because the spices are raw.  But it could be operator error.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline twopumpsandimsorry

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 07:26:11 am »
Ive done a spiced tea that i've added to my keg to taste. Worked great, added spices until it tasted right and still had a great aroma. No guessing or hoping it wouldn't be too much or too little spice.
"We are here to drink beer.... and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us."
Charles Bukowski