Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mold in tubes  (Read 5688 times)

Offline anapsid

• 1st Kit
Mold in tubes
« on: August 31, 2013, 06:56:40 pm »
So I could have sworn I cleaned out my equipment last brew well enough....but evidently not.  I broke out my gear to brew today, and sadly found black mold growing in my plastic tube!  I cannot get to the mold because of how far into the tube it is.  Right now I am soaking it in 5 gal. of water and 1.5 tsp of bleach.  I was wondering if anyone knows if this will work or if there is any other tricks.  I was going to try boiling it, but I'm worried about ruining the tube.  Right now my budget is a tad tight, and I really do not want to go out and buy a new tube if at all possible.

cornershot

Re: Mold in tubes
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 08:05:46 pm »
Tubing=50¢ a foot
5 gallons batch= $20-$40+ and not to mention a precious brew day wasted!
I am on a fairly tight brewing budget as well, but don't be penny wise and pound foolish! Replace moldy tubing!
Bleach will eliminate mold but may leave a bleach smell in the plastic. Not sure if 1.5 tbsp in 5 gallons in enough though.
In the future, rinse tubing immediately and hang to dry so that it is vertical and no water can lay in it.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 06:29:07 am by Big Al »

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 08:08:59 pm »
Tubing=50¢ a foot
5 gallons batch= $8-$40+ and not to mention a precious brew day wasted!
I am on a fairly tight brewing budget as well, but don't be penny wise and pound foolish! Replace moldy tubing!
Bleach will eliminate mold but may leave a bleach smell in the plastic. Not sure if 1.5 tbsp in 5 gallons in enough though.
In the future, rinse tubing immediately and hang to dry so that it is vertical and no water can lay in it.
+1.  Not worth having to dump a batch over some cheap tubing.
Jon H.

Offline anapsid

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 09:29:36 pm »
So do I have to hit up my local brew store or can I hit up a Home Depot and buy any tubing of the right size?

Offline HobsonDrake

• Assistant Brewer
  • Beaverton, OR
    • Brew Batch List
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 10:48:02 pm »
don't know how long the tubing is, but I kinda did the same thing with my bottle filling wand and what I did was to cut some string that would fit the length and then some. Then cut some cloth in strips. Blow the sting through the tube an then tie the cloth to the one end. Apply your form of cleaning solution to the cloth then pull through. Do this two or three times with a new strip each pass. This cleans out all the stuff and then soak as normal.
Good luck.
Check out my brew history and recipes at http://www.hobsondrake.com/BrewList.html

John D.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 06:25:23 am »
don't know how long the tubing is, but I kinda did the same thing with my bottle filling wand and what I did was to cut some string that would fit the length and then some. Then cut some cloth in strips. Blow the sting through the tube an then tie the cloth to the one end. Apply your form of cleaning solution to the cloth then pull through. Do this two or three times with a new strip each pass. This cleans out all the stuff and then soak as normal.
Good luck.

It is easier to use some fishing monofilament rather than string.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 06:31:25 am »
Good luck.

I like this idea. Sort of like a boresnake for tubing. You could glue a short nail to one end as a weight to drop the string through, then tie a rag to the other end to clean/dry as its being pulled through. I might have to try this out for the hell of it.
To the OP, the LHBS would be my first choice, but HD or Lowes would be fine as long as the tubing is safe for drinking water.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline guido

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 06:37:26 am »
So do I have to hit up my local brew store or can I hit up a Home Depot and buy any tubing of the right size?

You can get siphon tubing anywhere.  Tubing for keg lines is special and needs to be purchased from a LHBS.
Well...I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer

-"Roadhouse Blues,"  Jim Morrison