Author Topic: Using corny as fermenter  (Read 637 times)

Offline kramerog

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
    • My LinkedIn page
Using corny as fermenter
« on: September 03, 2013, 10:45:58 AM »
What are easy ways to use a corny for a fermenter i.e. how do I stick a fermentation lock on the thing?  I'm planning on using the corny for dispensing beer in the future. 
Brewers of South Suburbia
Brixie's Brewers
Oak Park Homebrewers

Roger Masson

Improved batch sparge and parti-gyle calculator (v.1.6)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
Re: Using corny as fermenter
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 11:05:07 AM »
What are easy ways to use a corny for a fermenter i.e. how do I stick a fermentation lock on the thing?  I'm planning on using the corny for dispensing beer in the future.

Easy.  Attach a blowoff to the gas in tube.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Vin S

• Assistant Brewer
  • Harwinton CT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 11:05:18 AM »
In the corny lid take the vent out place a bung with your bubbler or blow off tube in it. Some people also take gas fitting off and do the same. While your at it take 1 inch off the dip tube then when you want to transfer (replace gas fitting or vent) hook up co2 with low pressure and transfer to another keg.
" There is no such thing as a bad beer. It's that some taste better than others." Billy Carter

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 07:39:55 AM »

Easy.  Attach a blowoff to the gas in tube.
This. You may be concerned it will clog, but remember the keg is rated to >100psi. The clog will blow through the tube long before the keg seals fail.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958