Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Aged honey  (Read 4093 times)

cornershot

Aged honey
« on: September 05, 2013, 07:50:39 am »
I was gifted a gallon of honey. It was originally in a rusty 60# tin and completely crystallized and had to be heated to reliquify it. I don't know how old it is, but judging by the tin it's pretty old. It smells ok and tastes ok except for maybe a slight tinny taste, which may be real or imagined. I eat a lot of honey, brew a few batches with honey per year, and make a few melomels, cysers, pyments, and braggot. Any thoughts on using this old honey? Would you brew with it?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Aged honey
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 08:40:12 am »
I was gifted a gallon of honey. It was originally in a rusty 60# tin and completely crystallized and had to be heated to reliquify it. I don't know how old it is, but judging by the tin it's pretty old. It smells ok and tastes ok except for maybe a slight tinny taste, which may be real or imagined. I eat a lot of honey, brew a few batches with honey per year, and make a few melomels, cysers, pyments, and braggot. Any thoughts on using this old honey? Would you brew with it?

if it tastes tinny I don't think I would use it. remember when you ferment it all those light/mild flavor notes can become much more assertive. I might also worry about long term exposure to lead solder
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

cornershot

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 09:39:07 am »

if it tastes tinny I don't think I would use it. remember when you ferment it all those light/mild flavor notes can become much more assertive. I might also worry about long term exposure to lead solder

Hmmm... I didn't think about the solder. I was already worried about potentially wasting the other ingredients I paired it with. The thought of it containing some other toxic metallic stuff makes it that much more unattractive. But I hate to waste it. What can I do with it?

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 09:44:15 am »
Well, honey doesn't spoil so I wouldn't worry too much about that aspect. 
If it has indeed picked up a tinny taste, the you should of course use your own judgement.

In 1992 and 93, I bought a significant amount of honey from a local beekeeper...I couldn't resist the price of $2 per 3 pound bottle.  I had so much of the stuff that it is only in the  last year that I used up the last of that huge stash of honey... and it was delicious (and I'm still here). 

Mine was not stored in metal though, but rather in 1 quart glass Tropicana orange juice bottles that the guy had hoarded for god knows how long.

Maybe you should taste some new honey of a similar type to the old honey in a side by side assessment to see if there is indeed a taint from the metal storage.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 10:17:22 am »
Make a 1/2 or 1-gal batch of mead first to test the honey.  Not sure about the solder issue though....

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 11:02:52 am »
I work for a food product company that formulates w/"fresh" materials.  A buddy in process engineering will sometimes get "old" honey.

For me it is a real score to get a 5 gallon bucket of honey for free.

I've brewed w/4 year old honey with no issues.  (but mine's packed in polyethylene)
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 04:27:33 pm »
Do you really think that food-grade cans are sealed with toxic solder?   ::)
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

cornershot

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 04:48:04 pm »

Well, at least not since the 70s. But this can may have been that old!
Do you think I should feed it to my 4 year old daughter?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 05:00:51 pm »
My thoughts. Is honey supposed to taste like tin? How much money are you out if you play it safe?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 08:43:27 am »

sure, there are still a lot of problems with honey coming form China all leaded up. besides he didn't say just how old the tin is.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2013, 01:01:51 pm »
Not that it is terribly important here but "tin" cans are really tin coated steel cans.  Depending on the age of the can it might be soldered at the seams.  The solder could contain lead if the can is 40 or 50 years old.  Anything new likely has a crimped seam where no solder is used.  Tin itself is pure element but is in the same grouping as lead (though not poisonous like lead.

I would think the "tinny" flavor is just due to it being in a can for a long period of time.  I would not use it on the chance the flavor would carry through but I'm not sure that I would worry about toxicity.

IMHO, YMMV, IANAM(etallurgist) and I did not sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night.   8)

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2013, 01:35:07 pm »
Lone gunman, no moonwalk, twin towers...   ::)
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2013, 02:01:06 pm »
Lone gunman, no moonwalk, twin towers...   ::)

Caution? Perhaps? Or are you saying that lead poisoning is a conspiracy theory?
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

cornershot

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2013, 03:36:22 pm »
I think I'll stash it for the end of the world. Y2K, Mayan calendar...when's the next apocalypse?

Offline ultimate.beer.tour

• 1st Kit
    • OneLife Tours
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2013, 11:56:58 pm »

Absolutely!  I made an excellent Kiwi Mead with honey that sounds just like what you described.
Drink Well.  Travel Often.