General Category > Ingredients

Aged honey

(1/3) > >>

cornershot:
I was gifted a gallon of honey. It was originally in a rusty 60# tin and completely crystallized and had to be heated to reliquify it. I don't know how old it is, but judging by the tin it's pretty old. It smells ok and tastes ok except for maybe a slight tinny taste, which may be real or imagined. I eat a lot of honey, brew a few batches with honey per year, and make a few melomels, cysers, pyments, and braggot. Any thoughts on using this old honey? Would you brew with it?

morticaixavier:

--- Quote from: Big Al on September 05, 2013, 06:50:39 AM ---I was gifted a gallon of honey. It was originally in a rusty 60# tin and completely crystallized and had to be heated to reliquify it. I don't know how old it is, but judging by the tin it's pretty old. It smells ok and tastes ok except for maybe a slight tinny taste, which may be real or imagined. I eat a lot of honey, brew a few batches with honey per year, and make a few melomels, cysers, pyments, and braggot. Any thoughts on using this old honey? Would you brew with it?

--- End quote ---

if it tastes tinny I don't think I would use it. remember when you ferment it all those light/mild flavor notes can become much more assertive. I might also worry about long term exposure to lead solder

cornershot:

--- Quote from: morticaixavier on September 05, 2013, 07:40:12 AM ---
--- Quote from: Big Al on September 05, 2013, 06:50:39 AM ---I was gifted a gallon of honey. It was originally in a rusty 60# tin and completely crystallized and had to be heated to reliquify it. I don't know how old it is, but judging by the tin it's pretty old. It smells ok and tastes ok except for maybe a slight tinny taste, which may be real or imagined. I eat a lot of honey, brew a few batches with honey per year, and make a few melomels, cysers, pyments, and braggot. Any thoughts on using this old honey? Would you brew with it?

--- End quote ---

if it tastes tinny I don't think I would use it. remember when you ferment it all those light/mild flavor notes can become much more assertive. I might also worry about long term exposure to lead solder

--- End quote ---

Hmmm... I didn't think about the solder. I was already worried about potentially wasting the other ingredients I paired it with. The thought of it containing some other toxic metallic stuff makes it that much more unattractive. But I hate to waste it. What can I do with it?

The Professor:
Well, honey doesn't spoil so I wouldn't worry too much about that aspect. 
If it has indeed picked up a tinny taste, the you should of course use your own judgement.

In 1992 and 93, I bought a significant amount of honey from a local beekeeper...I couldn't resist the price of $2 per 3 pound bottle.  I had so much of the stuff that it is only in the  last year that I used up the last of that huge stash of honey... and it was delicious (and I'm still here). 

Mine was not stored in metal though, but rather in 1 quart glass Tropicana orange juice bottles that the guy had hoarded for god knows how long.

Maybe you should taste some new honey of a similar type to the old honey in a side by side assessment to see if there is indeed a taint from the metal storage.

kramerog:
Make a 1/2 or 1-gal batch of mead first to test the honey.  Not sure about the solder issue though....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version