Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Security Breach at Midwest Supplies  (Read 6404 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Security Breach at Midwest Supplies
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2013, 12:58:08 pm »
This is bothersome. I'm not too surprised though, as long as there is business there will also be fraud. Hopefully MW will get this under control and past them soon. Fortunately, I haven't purchased anything from them in the recent past. They have a very respectable business, and I'll be doing business with them again for sure.
Midwest and Northern Brewer have the same parent company. One can wonder if the IT is separate,or consolidated? If no problems at NB, then one could deduce separate.

I live in Minneapolis and frequently buy supplies from both MW and NB.  In talking to some of the employees at both stores, it sounds like the only thing they really share is inventory.  And even their inventory sharing is not very extensive, apparently.

Thanks Matt, that is good to know, as I ought a few things from NB after the NHC, using the NHC discount code.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2013, 12:59:24 pm »
This is bothersome. I'm not too surprised though, as long as there is business there will also be fraud. Hopefully MW will get this under control and past them soon. Fortunately, I haven't purchased anything from them in the recent past. They have a very respectable business, and I'll be doing business with them again for sure.
I don't know, the description of the breach (and the complaints at HBT) make it seem like their payment process was compromised for some time. It sounds like their sysadmins weren't on top of things and I will think twice before buying from them again.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2013, 01:09:45 pm »
I don't know, the description of the breach (and the complaints at HBT) make it seem like their payment process was compromised for some time. It sounds like their sysadmins weren't on top of things and I will think twice before buying from them again.

I would think that after this they would be one of the more secure places to order from for a while. till they get complacent again that is.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2013, 06:15:11 pm »

I would think that after this they would be one of the more secure places to order from for a while. till they get complacent again that is.
Interesting to see that David Kidd's LinkedIn profile has been deleted. Coincidence?
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/david-kidd/2/b64/167

It's still in the Google cache, though.
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Z1Hre4dLihEJ:www.linkedin.com/pub/david-kidd/2/b64/167+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2013, 08:56:22 pm »
Sorry to hear that but processing credit cards is not a trivial thing.

There is such a thing that is called PCI compliance.

These are the rules that every credit processor have to comply with.
I think they are in a big trouble.
This is a terrible haiku.
Sorry about that.
Bottom Line they are fully responsible

On the side note.
Did you see last brewing tv episode?
What happened to all the people there?
And who is the Kidd guy?
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2013, 09:53:08 pm »

On the side note.
And who is the Kidd guy?

Dawson is now brand manager for Wyeast. Chip works for Summit brewing. Not sure what Keeler is up to.

Chip started a new vlog earlier this year called Chop & Brew that pretty much picks up where BTV left off. It's pretty good - well worth checking out.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2013, 05:20:45 am »
There's a follow up at HBT that spells out what happened. It was a man in the middle attack.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/additional-information-midwest-supplies-430638/

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2013, 05:28:49 am »

On the side note.
And who is the Kidd guy?

Dawson is now brand manager for Wyeast. Chip works for Summit brewing. Not sure what Keeler is up to.

Chip started a new vlog earlier this year called Chop & Brew that pretty much picks up where BTV left off. It's pretty good - well worth checking out.

I was told Keeler is at Brewers Supply Group.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!