Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2 row vs. Pale malt  (Read 47352 times)

Offline qm3k

• Cellarman
2 row vs. Pale malt
« on: September 05, 2013, 09:21:02 pm »
Hi all,

My local homebrew shop has both 2 row malt and Pale malts. What are the difference between these, if any? Are they interchangeable?

Thanks!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: 2 row vs. Pale malt
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 12:02:27 am »
Two row is the type of barley. As opposed to six row. Referring to how it grows. I think that most malt labeled as two row actually is pale.  In short, probably no diff between what they are calling two row or pale, unless it's specified

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 07:30:11 am »
Many people use 2row and pale with no distinction. Great Western has a pale ale malt that is a hair darker and said to be like an American version of MO.

Edit - Fixed my crap grammar.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 10:00:41 am by Steve in TX »

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 08:50:45 am »
"2 row" and "pale malt" are typically used interchangeably. "Pale Ale malt" is different and generally sits between pale malt and Vienna on the darkness (and flavor) scale.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 08:57:11 am »
I diagree with 'interchangeability".  they are not the same.  for example Rahr 2 row is about 1.8L-2.0L whereas their Pale Ale malt is 3-3.5L

the Rahr Pale Ale malt has a candy-like sweetness that I do not care for, and as such I always avoid the Pale Ale malt, opting for 2-row.

as was said, I believe that "pale ale malt" is typically a maltster's take on making some approximation of maris otter malt.  but when I want maris otter, I just buy maris otter, much better IME.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 09:43:36 am »
I diagree with 'interchangeability".  they are not the same.  for example Rahr 2 row is about 1.8L-2.0L whereas their Pale Ale malt is 3-3.5L

the Rahr Pale Ale malt has a candy-like sweetness that I do not care for, and as such I always avoid the Pale Ale malt, opting for 2-row.

as was said, I believe that "pale ale malt" is typically a maltster's take on making some approximation of maris otter malt.  but when I want maris otter, I just buy maris otter, much better IME.

I think everybody was saying that pale ale malt is different, but 2 row and pale are used interchangeably.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline cheshirecat

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 09:47:03 am »

I feel the same about Great Western's Northwest Pale malt, also has a slight sweetness that really sticks out. I didn't care for it all that much either.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 11:41:46 am »
My non expert point is that two row is a variety of barley and pale is color/flavor. Pale can be two or six row, but two row can be anything up to black. Having said that, I've found that usually malt sold as two row is pale.

narvin

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 11:53:10 am »
Even though one is a type of barley and another is a color, the terms are usually used to describe two differently kilned malts.

In America, what's typically sold as 2-row is a light malt around 2L, like Blatz mentioned.  It's not quite Pilsner malt, but it's close.  I think this was often called "Lager malt" in the past (thought it works great in ales).  Pale malt is typically a British or British-style malt that is 2.8-3.2L and is slightly more flavorful and often used in pale ales or other British styles (though it works just fine for most American ales as well).

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 01:44:50 pm »
Good stuff!
Its one of those things that drives me batty. Terminology, what it originally meant, what it technically means, what it has come to mean regionally. In my area if I order pale malt I get great western two row pale. If I order two row I get the same thing. You have to specify premium two row to get the light stuff. I've switched to Washington Select now for the local ingredients thing, plus no guess work on what shows up.