Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop blending in an IPA  (Read 8193 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Hop blending in an IPA
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2013, 02:12:10 pm »
Generally time is a brewers friend

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2013, 02:36:31 pm »
Interesting finding from my club meeting last night.  Mosaic isn't the garlic bomb that I thought it was.  Let me explain.

Several weeks ago, I sampled an all Mosaic pale ale that was on tap at my LHBS.  They serve it in tiny cups and there isn't much to do other than sample it quickly.  Well, it was an oniony garlic bomb.  I was less than impressed.  Last evening, one of my clubmates served his all Mosaic pale ale and I found the same response...garlic bomb.  But since we were dealing with larger cups and a longer time to sample, after a few minutes the garlic aroma dissipated and the wonderfully fruity Mosaic aroma and flavor came through for me.  So the lesson here seems to be that those oniony garlic components are quite volatile and they disappear with enough beer surface area and time.  I'm on board with Mosaic now! 

I'm now curious if other oniony, garlicy hops also dissipate that character with enough time?  Anyone else have this experience?

Thanks, Martin.  I have had the same experience with Summit hops.  Out of the bag, and even after a short time in the fermenter, there was a heavy onion/garlic aroma.   A few weeks later, that turned into the most amazing tangerine aroma and flavor.  Some people shun them, but they've become a staple around here.

I recently brewed a five gallon batch with 3 oz Summit at 60 minute. It's finished with 5 oz mosaic and 5 oz of Simcoe between 0 min and dry hop... I think. I wasn't a fan of it due to the explosion of garlic. I hadn't tried it in a couple weeks. My uncle texted me last night and said, that it was the best IPA he's ever had. So I'll hit it again this weekend. I have the recipe posted under "The Gargoyle" in the recipe thread.

Actually here

60 minute - 3 oz Summit
30 minute - 2 oz Simcoe
15 minute - 1 oz Mosaic
0 minute - 2 oz Simcoe & 2 oz Mosaic
Dry Hop - 2 oz Simcoe & 2 oz Mosaic
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 02:39:11 pm by fmader »
Frank

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2013, 03:56:29 pm »
I got a lb of Summit hops through the local brewey. After trying my buddy's APA with Summit, I haven't used them because of the garlic/onion flavor I got from it.  I think I might have to give Summit a chance if it mellows into tangerine over time.
Dan Chisholm

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2013, 04:27:55 pm »
Maybe I should give the Summit another go (maybe).  I made 2 IPAs with it, one paired with Cascade back in the day, and another with Centennial.  The Cascade one eventually faded into the nice tangerine after starting as an onion /garlic bomb. Liked it.  The other never got better than 80:20  tangerine:onion/garlic.  I'm a big believer in getting the IPA on tap quickly, and with all the hop choices out there now, I just hate to sit and wait for the Summit to mellow while all my other non -onion aroma hops are diminishing.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 05:49:39 am by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2013, 08:58:39 am »
The other never got better than 80:20  tangerine:onion/garlic.  I'm a big believer in getting the IPA on tap quickly, and with all the hop choices out there now, I just hate to sit and wait for the Summit to mellow while all my other non -onion aroma hops are diminishing.

amen to that.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281