General Category > Other Fermentables

Using Stevia to Sweeten

<< < (2/3) > >>

dnicholson:
Thanks for your input - I like the idea of pouring a glass and testing it - it is for cider

jcwhoffman:

--- Quote from: HoosierBrew on September 07, 2013, 06:59:17 AM ---I used it to backsweeten a fruit beer once.  The sugar from fruit ferments away drier than you think, so the cherry beer was drier than my wife wanted (though I liked it that way) .  So I dissolved the Stevia in a small amount of water and added it to the keg.  Worked pretty well. I've read that the Lindemann's brewery in Belgium - the one that makes the fruit bomb lambics - backsweetens with saccharine ( or used to).

--- End quote ---

I'm glad I read your post, I have a keg of Peach Blonde Ale and as I like it, my wife thinks it is too dry, it has been kegged for a few weeks, is it too later to add this now??     I've never attempted to do that after the beer was already carbed... 

HoosierBrew:

--- Quote from: jcwhoffman on September 11, 2013, 05:49:07 AM ---
--- Quote from: HoosierBrew on September 07, 2013, 06:59:17 AM ---I used it to backsweeten a fruit beer once.  The sugar from fruit ferments away drier than you think, so the cherry beer was drier than my wife wanted (though I liked it that way) .  So I dissolved the Stevia in a small amount of water and added it to the keg.  Worked pretty well. I've read that the Lindemann's brewery in Belgium - the one that makes the fruit bomb lambics - backsweetens with saccharine ( or used to).

--- End quote ---

I'm glad I read your post, I have a keg of Peach Blonde Ale and as I like it, my wife thinks it is too dry, it has been kegged for a few weeks, is it too later to add this now??     I've never attempted to do that after the beer was already carbed... 

--- End quote ---
I added mine when I kegged.  If I added it after carbing, I would add to the keg, put the lid on quickly and purge the headspace a couple times.  Then you could mix in by tipping the keg back and forth several times, which would avoid the excessive aeration of stirring in with a spoon.

jcwhoffman:
Okay, I may give this a shot then.. I suspected something similar... 

kramerog:
This subject inspired me to check if stevia was generally recognized as as safe (GRAS).  Purified stevia is GRAS but not crude stevia.  http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/fcn/fcnDetailNavigation.cfm?rpt=grasListing&id=287; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stevia#cite_note-FDA_GRAS_Notice-37. 

Purified stevia legally sold as a sweetener is GRAS.  Stevia sold as a food supplement is not.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version