Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Crazy Good Attenuation with WLP565 but Cloudy as Hell  (Read 2063 times)

Offline yalc

• 1st Kit
Crazy Good Attenuation with WLP565 but Cloudy as Hell
« on: September 08, 2013, 01:58:29 pm »
I fermented my first Saison with 565 and got great results.
Doubled up on my O2 and nutrients, started at 68F and ramped to 80F.
Let it go for 14 days before I checked it.  Started at 1.059 ended at 1.002.
Hydro sample tasted spicy, peppery, really good!
NOT infected!  My wort stability samples pre pitch, post pitch/pre O2 and post pitch/O2 were all immaculate at 14 days.
Only thing is that it is the ugliest, cloudiest beer I have ever seen but then again I've never fermented anything at 80°.  Have it cooled down to 40F currently and will leave it a week. 
Will that be enough or should I add gelatin?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Crazy Good Attenuation with WLP565 but Cloudy as Hell
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 02:26:16 pm »
I'd cold condition for sure.  It will help some.  But personally I would not use gelatin to clear any yeast driven beer, such as saison (or any Belgian for that matter), hefeweizen, etc.  Alot of the character of the beer comes from the yeast, and if you drop the yeast completely out , it becomes a less interesting beer.
Jon H.

Offline yalc

• 1st Kit
Re: Crazy Good Attenuation with WLP565 but Cloudy as Hell
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 03:10:51 pm »
I'd cold condition for sure.  It will help some.  But personally I would not use gelatin to clear any yeast driven beer, such as saison (or any Belgian for that matter), hefeweizen, etc.  Alot of the character of the beer comes from the yeast, and if you drop the yeast completely out , it becomes a less interesting beer.

Yeah, I just went back to the BJCP and saw this: ;D
Appearance: Often a distinctive pale orange but may be golden or amber in color. There is no correlation between strength and color. Long-lasting, dense, rocky white to ivory head resulting in characteristic “Belgian lace” on the glass as it fades. Clarity is poor to good though haze is not unexpected in this type of unfiltered farmhouse beer. Effervescent. 8)

Just my first Saison and the cloudiness was a little disconcerting.  I guess I will just let the cold do it's work and damn the chill haze.
Thanks for the reply btw.