General Category > Homebrewer Bios

Brewer Bio - Josh Dodson

(1/1)

jydhokie:

Who Are You (please include a picture): Josh Dodson
Home Town (City, State): Danville, VA
Homebrew Club: Trainwreck Brewers
I've been a homebrewer since: 2011
Do you have a homebrewing disaster you'd like to share? Spent the day brewing a Blackberry Pale Ale only to shatter the carboy when transferring it to the closet.  Our bathroom still smells like skunky hops from time to time.
What is your favorite style(s) to brew?  All of them, but since my wife is a hophead, we always have an IPA keg in the keezer.
What style(s) will you never brew? Lager
What was the first beer you ever brewed?  How did it turn out? A Vanilla Bourbon Stout, it turned out amazing. 
Have you ever had a homebrew mistake that turned out great? I would never admit it was a mistake if it turned out great.
What is your favorite beer recipe? I am trying to perfect a Citra and Galaxy hopped IPA recipe.  My wife and I brewed one for our wedding and it was the best IPA we have ever brewed.
Are you a BJCP Judge?  If so, what is your rank and how long have you been judging? No, I am not, but I am interested in becoming one.
Do you have a good beer judging story you'd like to share with the rest of the homebrewing world? No
Do you have a favorite homebrew trick or gadget that you've found to make your beer better/brewing easier, etc? We use a hop bag(5 gallon paint strainer bag mounted on a PVC base) for extensively hopped beers.  It greatly speeds up the transfer from the boil kettle to the fermenter.
Describe your brew system. 48 Quart Coleman Extreme Cooler with CPVC manifold.  7 gallon turkey fryer setup for boil.  6 gallon carboys.
How frequently do you brew (times/month or /year)?  Used to brew every two weeks or so when we were bottling, now it is more like once a month.
What is your favorite malt?  Why? Maris Otter.  I think it provides a better body than two-row.  I also enjoy the biscuit like flavors it provides.
 What is your favorite hop? Why? Galaxy I love the passionfruit notes it provides when used as a late addition/dry hop
Do you have a favorite or house yeast? What qualities do you like about that yeast? WLP300 My favorite style of beer to brew in the summer is a good German Hefeweizen.  I prefer the heavier banana and clove notes this yeast provides
Do you have a good homebrew club story you'd like to share? Starting last year, we participated in the Brightleaf Brewfest in Danville, VA. We were able to talk to people about the hobby we love and we were able to give out 2 ounce samples of our homebrew.  It was a great experience to see the reaction from people that had no clue what you could brew at home.  We will be doing it again this November.
What haven't we asked that you would really like to answer? I am a proud Virginia Tech graduate.  Go Hokies!
If you could serve your homebrew to someone famous, who would it be and what would you give her/him?Ric Flair, it doesn't matter what beer it is, I just want him to drink it and then yell out his trademark WHOO!
Can you send a picture or two of some labels you've created for your homebrew? I have never done any labels.
What's the most unusual ingredient you've ever used in a brew? Bailey's Irish Cream for an Irish Car Bomb Stout
Do you have any pets or kids named after beer styles or ingredients? Not yet, but that is a great idea.
How many medals have you won from homebrew competitions? I have never entered my beers in any competitions, but plan to do so soon.
Do you brew alone, with friends or with someone you live with? With my wife and friends in the brew club.
Are you an indoor or outdoor brewer? I prefer to brew outdoors.
List some of the names you've given your beers. Which is your favorite? Much like farmers who have cows, chickens etc., I don't name my beers because I don't want an emotional attachment to something that I plan on consuming very quickly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version