Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Other hobbies?  (Read 14347 times)

Offline ranchovillabrew

• Brewer
Re: Other hobbies?
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2013, 08:38:46 pm »
Saltwater fishing and cooking
- Charles

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2013, 09:01:56 pm »
Saltwater fishing and cooking

You don't fish at    udubdawg's house do you?
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline speed

• Brewer
  • Thedford nebraska
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2013, 09:19:10 pm »
Nice bike Jim, I have a softail, just got back from a 5300 mile vacation. Guess bikes are my other hobby. Now that I have time, recently retired, I might get back into golfing.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2013, 01:32:26 am »
Following udubdawg and klickitat jim, here are pics that show my other two hobbies:

Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Other hobbies?
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2013, 05:13:45 am »
brewing is no longer a hobby for me, but I have ventured off into fermented foods. Right now just sauerkraut and pickles but have plans to do kimchi and other fermented vegetables.

I also back pack, canoe, hike and am getting back into running after a 3 year hiatus. I have two dogs I walk and hike with daily. I have an 8 year old Great Dane in fantastic shape and an 11 year old "Mountain Dog" mix that will probably live forever.

2 kids, 2 dogs, 3 guinea pigs, a snake and now 4 kittens, not to mention a gold fish. Pretty much an all around zoo.

Oh, and I have a motorcycle that sits in the garage that I never ride. Used to be a daily commuter but now I have to haul kids and/or 50+ pounds of this or that around every day.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 05:15:43 am by majorvices »

cornershot

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2013, 07:27:20 am »
Gardening, canning, cooking, hunting, fishing, gathering, brewing- whatever supplies me and my family with the freshest, healthiest, best possible food and drink for free or cheap.
Also camping, backpacking, hiking, mountain biking, x-country skiing, traveling, nature observation, canoeing- whatever gets me outdoors and exercising.
In a nutshell, I like to do healthy outdoor things with friends and family that nourish mind, body, and soul.
Oh, and I like to watch the Philadelphia Eagles football.

brewing is no longer a hobby for me, but I have ventured off into fermented foods. Right now just sauerkraut and pickles but have plans to do kimchi and other fermented vegetables.

I also back pack, canoe, hike and am getting back into running after a 3 year hiatus. I have two dogs I walk and hike with daily. I have an 8 year old Great Dane in fantastic shape and an 11 year old "Mountain Dog" mix that will probably live forever.

2 kids, 2 dogs, 3 guinea pigs, a snake and now 4 kittens, not to mention a gold fish. Pretty much an all around zoo.

Oh, and I have a motorcycle that sits in the garage that I never ride. Used to be a daily commuter but now I have to haul kids and/or 50+ pounds of this or that around every day.

You're originally from Pa., right? What were you're favorite hiking/backpacking trails up here?

Offline bwana

• Cellarman
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2013, 07:41:00 am »
Fishing,Golf,hunting,and Lions football.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2013, 07:46:33 am »
Brewing is the only thing I consider an active hobby these days. I spend a good amount of time brewing/reading about beer/writing on my blog. I'm also trying to get my law firm off the ground so that's most of my day, every day. Otherwise, I workout, cook, do a bad job gardening and on rare occasion write music very poorly. I used to work on writing music as a more serious hobby but I haven't been feeling it over the past couple years. I'm sure I'll come back around to it when I'm less stressed about work.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2013, 07:48:09 am »
I love to cook and usually do every meal from scratch.

I also love Cardinals baseball.

But lately my time has been devoted to house hunting and wedding planning. I'm really looking forward to expanding the brewery once I get a house, but this whole house shopping thing is a bit much. It really cuts into my brewing time!
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2013, 08:04:06 am »

I tried to ride every day over the summer with pretty good success.  Now that schools back in session, the bike will sit in the garage until next year.  I don't think I can fit the girls into the saddle bags or double stack them on the back.

My garden gets little attention, but I make time for BBQ (easy, because I can do other things while the smoker does its thing).  I'm not sure it's a hobby, but I do a lot of repairs/remodeling/maintenance around the house.  I wrench on cars a fair bit, but again it's more maintenance at this point than hobby.  I suppose my other hobby could be described as fixing stuff whats broke.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2013, 08:59:43 am »
I guess brewing has become my main hobby, but my other hobbies depends on where I am.  When we are in Maui, surfing, snorkeling, kayaking, fishing...basically anything water related.  When we are in Colorado, camping, hiking, mountain biking, shooting (not a hunter but enjoy shooting), fishing (although I am a horrible fresh water fisherman but still enjoy the experience). 

My wife just yelled out "Don't forget your fantasy sports!"  I guess she's right since I'm currently in 2 fantasy football leagues, one baseball league and a NASCAR fantasy league.  Then again, as I remind my wife, the fantasy leagues are the only hobby I actually make money on!

I love to cook/ bbq, but I wouldn't consider that much of a hobby since my wife doesn't cook...it's more of a necessity!  Uh oh, she read this so you may not see me on here for a while  ;D
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2013, 09:16:34 am »
Well, I was a high school football referee for 20 years.  Got to work a semi-final game, and a 3A Final before I quit, and turned brewing into a second job. 

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2013, 09:34:19 am »
Trying to figure out how to play bass is about all the extra hobby I have time for (young kid, lot's of overtime at work etc.)

I used to write and act but not much time left.

Working out, but that sort of a maintenance thing more than a hobby.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2013, 10:00:17 am »

A bass player!  No wonder we hit it off!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2013, 04:07:45 pm »

You're originally from Pa., right? What were you're favorite hiking/backpacking trails up here?

The AT was 15 minutes from my house so we went there often. A lot of the places I can't remember the names now but Horse Shoe trail near lower Susquehanna and lots of day hikes around Pine Grove Furnace and Doublin Gap. Went lots of place with Scouts and really don't remember all the locations.