Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Other hobbies?  (Read 14446 times)

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: Other hobbies?
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2013, 04:29:00 pm »
We went backpacking in PA once. Great view from the campsite of flashing lights and sirens all night in the valley.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2013, 05:02:24 pm »
Homebrewing is my  hobby obsession lifestyle these days.

I do work out, mainly so that I can I do heavy lifting required when brewing. Travel has been a passion for 25 years, and now it also involves beer related destinations.

This summer I got an old 12 speed road bike to ride around town.

There area few adventures I still want to do. Another river trip through the Grand Canyon is on my bucket list. Some long hikes too, but my wife is not so much into those these days.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline rodriguezjoe1@bellsouth.net

• 1st Kit
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2013, 05:41:34 pm »
Competition shooting. Alcohol (beer making), tobacco (smoking a fine cigar), and firearms (competition)! Party time! We only discuss firearms when enjoying beer and a fine cigars.  ;D

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2013, 06:47:21 pm »
Competition shooting. Alcohol (beer making), tobacco (smoking a fine cigar), and firearms (competition)! Party time! We only discuss firearms when enjoying beer and a fine cigars.  ;D

I like you already!  We call this an ATF gathering.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

cornershot

« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2013, 07:26:18 pm »

You're originally from Pa., right? What were you're favorite hiking/backpacking trails up here?

The AT was 15 minutes from my house so we went there often. A lot of the places I can't remember the names now but Horse Shoe trail near lower Susquehanna and lots of day hikes around Pine Grove Furnace and Doublin Gap. Went lots of place with Scouts and really don't remember all the locations.

I'm familiar with the area. I have friends there and possibly a job opportunity in Adams county. Pine Grove furnace is where AT thru hikers do the half gallon challenge, where they eat a half gallon of ice cream at the halfway point of the trail, right?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2013, 08:48:33 pm »

A bass player!  No wonder we hit it off!
Lol, that's it!
Its fun. I'm more of a guitar guy, just barely more. But there's a million guitar guys. Not many basses.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2013, 11:10:18 pm »

A bass player!  No wonder we hit it off!
Lol, that's it!
Its fun. I'm more of a guitar guy, just barely more. But there's a million guitar guys. Not many basses.

Similar situation here. I played guitar for 6 or 7 years before I got my first bass, so I think of myself as a guitarist first and foremost. But everyone else plays guitar, so when it comes down to jamming/bands/etc., I always end up playing bass because everyone else plays guitar. Plus, my bass looks so much nicer than most of my guitars.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2013, 02:15:48 am »
I have a hobby that involves the next step after the fermentation process, but we're not allowed to talk about on this forum.  I find this pretty amusing because homebrewing used to be illegal too, until homebrewers worked hard to have homebrewing made legal. 

This other hobby suffers from erroneous myths that are repeated by many out of ignorance of the subject.  The hobby is involved in a new craft renaissance on the commercial level.  Take my word for it.  Doing it a home will become as common as homebrewing someday, once again.  We just have to overcome all of the BS myths that surround it.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

cornershot

« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2013, 03:04:42 am »
I have a hobby that involves the next step after the fermentation process, but we're not allowed to talk about on this forum.  I find this pretty amusing because homebrewing used to be illegal too, until homebrewers worked hard to have homebrewing made legal. 

This other hobby suffers from erroneous myths that are repeated by many out of ignorance of the subject.  The hobby is involved in a new craft renaissance on the commercial level.  Take my word for it.  Doing it a home will become as common as homebrewing someday, once again.  We just have to overcome all of the BS myths that surround it.

Not sure what you're talking about. You'll either go blind or grow hair or your palms!  ;D

Offline punatic

« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2013, 03:30:22 am »
But it feels so good!  Can I do it till I need glasses?

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2013, 06:29:03 am »
Brewing is my hobby. The other stuff is just stuff I like to do: Ride my motorcycle ('03 Triumph Bonneville T100), hike, read, cook...

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2013, 01:06:00 pm »

SWMBO gets the same sour face she used to get, back before I started homebrewing, when I mention the "activity that must not be named".  I'll get there someday but barely have enough time keep beer in the fridge right now.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline punatic

« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2013, 02:58:12 pm »
Just tell her you are doing it to make your beer fit in smaller bottles...

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline Titanium Brewing

• Assistant Brewer
  • Westchester, CA
    • The Peoples Republic of the Garage™
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2013, 04:49:50 pm »
I play bass in a rock band. Also an avid fan of "modernist cuisine".
AHA #210799

My wife said I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn laughing.

Offline sparkleberry

• Brewer
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2013, 06:10:36 pm »
sunday morning therapy(riding my triumph bonneville on the pch), reading a lot, watching movies, listening to records & music, running, scrabble and grilling.
cheers.

rpl
apertureales