Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: "Chopped" beer competition.....calling it "Skunked"  (Read 4819 times)

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: "Chopped" beer competition.....calling it "Skunked"
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2013, 08:25:28 am »
How about bird seed?  See how may folks would try to malt it first.  8^)

Paul

At the last local club meeting somebody was telling me the club did a wal-mart competition where people could only brew with stuff they bought at wal-mart. One guy bought bird seed. Apparently the beer wasn't too bad but I wonder whether it was a good beer in its own right or a good beer among the others in the competition.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2013, 08:29:14 am »
The local club also does an Iron Mash competition. We get a box of the key ingredients--hops, grain and yeast--and brew at one of the local breweries so there's hot and cold water already available. Then there's a second box of special ingredients that contains four spices/fruit/who knows. You have to use all of one of the special ingredients and at least a small amount of the other three.

I haven't decided whether to compete this year (and it would be my first) but I'm interested in seeing what ingredients they give out and what kinds of beer people are making.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2013, 09:55:43 am »
I have tried to mash breakfast cereal before back in my stupid, stupid youth.  Please don't.

It was the secret ingredient at one of our Iron Brewer comps a few years back.  I'll never forget the color of a Froot Loops mash....

Hahaha. I love homebrewer 'war stories'.

I received many death threats that day.  I never realized homebrewers could be so vindictive!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2013, 10:37:04 am »
I have tried to mash breakfast cereal before back in my stupid, stupid youth.  Please don't.

It was the secret ingredient at one of our Iron Brewer comps a few years back.  I'll never forget the color of a Froot Loops mash....

Hahaha. I love homebrewer 'war stories'.

I received many death threats that day.  I never realized homebrewers could be so vindictive!

Beer IS serious business! ;):)
Ron Price

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2013, 01:00:20 pm »
I used GrapeNuts in a beer once.  A brown ale, I think.  The beer was good but I can't really say the cereal did anything other than increase the batch cost.  It made people think twice about drinking it though.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?