Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Anybody into watching movies at home?  (Read 2736 times)

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
Anybody into watching movies at home?
« on: September 11, 2013, 11:39:51 am »
Some time ago I bought a Rokyu box and cancelled my cable. I generally watch Netflix or Hulu when watching TV. Yesterday I was playing around with it and I read some good reviews on Amazon prime. They offer almost all networks you get on cable plus an incredible database of HD movies. It had a 30 day free trial. So I signed up. I must say I am AMAZED! Once I signed up the movies they usually charge rent for I can stream for free. And they have REALLY up to date movies. Including Iron Man 3 which is not scheduled for release onto DVD until Sept 24. Then if you want to buy movies, you can get them dirt cheap and they are stored on your amazon cloud. In addition to all of this I get free 2 day shipping on almost everything I buy from Amazon as long as I am a member. All for $79 per year. That comes out to $6.59 a month. If you are a movie freak like I am. And you have a blu ray, smart tv, or other means of connecting your tv to the internet, I highly recommend this.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
Re: Anybody into watching movies at home?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 12:23:40 pm »
Huh...my prime only shows that I can buy Iron Man 3, not stream it for free.

I usually use Netflix and Amazon to watch old TV series (my son just finished watching every season of Star Trek Voyager).  The movie selection for streaming is usually not a lot of stuff I like to watch, but occassionally there's some good stuff in there.

I so want to dump my cable but I need the HD for Patriots and Red Sox games, and my wife watches a bunch of those House Hunter type shows.  I have no idea if her shows are streamed or not. 

I only watch a couple network shows (Big Bang Theory, Grey's Anatomy (wife), and Arrow on CW, which I love).  None of the new shows coming up really interest me that much, except maybe Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. 

Half the time I sit down with a beer to watch TV, I fall asleep anyways. ;D
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 12:25:27 pm »
My internet connection is so slow I con't use Amazon Prime, Vudu, or most streaming services.  Netflix works for me, but only because they can scale the quality to my internet speed.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 12:47:30 pm »
I just caught up on every episode of Dexter on Showtime on Demand via DirecTV.  I started watching them back in June so this has been the summer of Dexter for me.  I like DirecTV because I am an NFL fanatic.  Sunday Ticket is the greatest thing since chocolate ice cream, IMHO.  DirecTV allows me to watch live and video on demand on any device I have.

My wife and son watch Netflix through a Wii console.  I'm not very impressed with that. 

I can connect to Amazon through my Bluray player.  I'll have to check it out.  Thanks for the heads-up!
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 01:16:46 pm »
I haven't had a TV for more than 5 years now. I watch Netflix, Hulu, and recently Amazon Prime on my PC and that's just fine for me. I avoid having a giant TV, another set top box (that restricts what Netflix and Hulu will let you watch by the way), and more electric junk around the house.

That being said I have 0 interest in sports and there are times when I can't watch what I want because Netflix only offers in on DVD or amazon charges for it even for Prime customers or what have you but it's only TV.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 02:19:44 pm »
It takes over a year for movies to make it to netflix. Prime has all new releases and some that are still in theaters. So far I havent found any they want to charge me rent for. I can even watch Ironman 3 for free and that wont be released on DVD for another 2 weeks. Prime has all cable channels and thier programming. Overall I am impressed.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 03:30:10 pm »
I'm impressed with Amazon's streaming, but I've not found that everything is free with Prime.  Old stuff, sure.  But I'll check on the Iron Man thing maybe this weekend.

I don't leave home much.  Three small kids.

I watch a couple episodes of Netflix TV shows and then I go to bed.

Bears games are broadcast, so all I'm missing is the Blackhawks.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 04:00:59 pm »
My internet connection is so slow I con't use Amazon Prime, Vudu, or most streaming services.  Netflix works for me, but only because they can scale the quality to my internet speed.
Mine is slow. I can usually Google, sometimes I can eBay. Movies, only three seconds at a time followed by ten seconds of buffering

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 06:10:46 pm »
I have been browsing amazon and it seems the reason I have access to Ironman 3 and can watch it for free is because I pre ordered the blu ray. Best buy does the sme thing with cinema now.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 05:40:00 am »

So you get 480i in black and white? ;)
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 06:54:29 am »

Denny watches all his movies in 8-bit. Here's Star Trek - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj-KxebLFlQ
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 08:06:53 am »

Denny watches all his movies in 8-bit. Here's Star Trek - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj-KxebLFlQ

Awesome! 
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2013, 10:45:05 am »

NTSC off of rabbit ears...   ::)
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907