Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Deployed homebrewer  (Read 2933 times)

Offline jaftak22

• Assistant Brewer
Deployed homebrewer
« on: August 31, 2013, 02:26:54 pm »
Hey, I am a home brewer that is stuck over in Afghanistan right now. It sucks but it's life. Tried to get ahold of 3 or 4 Zymurgy magazines before I left the states. Does anyone have a stack they don't need? I will pay for shipping. I had just gotten into home brewing about a year before I left and its awesome. Just don't have Internet often enough to read up while I am over here. 

Offline sparkleberry

• Brewer
Re: Deployed homebrewer
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 02:44:59 pm »
how can I send them to you?
cheers.

rpl
apertureales

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 04:07:43 pm »
Also, as long as you are an AHA member, you can access e-zymurgy if you have the internet. (I don't think the speed would cause too many problems) That would get you all issues back to 2000. I would send you some, but I only have the last couple years. I will send you some brewing books if you want, as long as you send them back when you get back in the states (or as you leave the stan)

Keep your head down over there.

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 04:35:27 pm »
I feel for you brother. I just got back last fall. Some of my friends did successfully ship me some yeast but I never attempted to make beer since I did not have any kitchen access at my home base.
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 04:54:35 am »
I don't have any to send right now.  I just wanted to say thank you for willingness to serve!  I've got a niece a couple of nephews over there right now.  Take care of your self and come back safe.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 05:59:47 am »
I'll send a stack to you. PM me your APO/FPO and I'll send them off.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline jaftak22

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 05:45:58 am »
Was awesome to see people were willing to send me magazines and stuff. Home brewers are definitely awesome people. My address if you wanna know is
Attn: Spc Fisher, Joseph
 RC - SOUTH HQ PSD OPS CO 4ID HHBN
 APO/AE 09355
You guys rock, have a couple people sending some brew mags and will post a pic on here when I get them. Thanks for the patriotism and being good people.

Offline rustyl

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2013, 07:24:22 am »
Thank you for your service! I can't wait to hear that you made it home safe. AMERICA!! F#@* YEAH!!

Offline SecondRow_Sean

• Assistant Brewer
  • North of the Wall, NY
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2013, 05:28:12 pm »
Was awesome to see people were willing to send me magazines and stuff. Home brewers are definitely awesome people. My address if you wanna know is
Attn: Spc Fisher, Joseph
 RC - SOUTH HQ PSD OPS CO 4ID HHBN
 APO/AE 09355
You guys rock, have a couple people sending some brew mags and will post a pic on here when I get them. Thanks for the patriotism and being good people.

This would be much better used as a PM. Did you pay attention to any of the PERSEC classes prior to deployment?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2013, 09:19:56 pm »
Thanks for your service. We're on your side. Get home safe.

Offline Jarhno

• Cellarman
  • You can call me John. (Portland, OR.)
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 10:54:40 am »
Wow, Thank you so much for your effort and service. I only have more recent magazines but let me know what you've been getting from people and I'll see if I can fill in a gap or two.

Thanks again, Chief.
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.  - Frank Zappa

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2013, 02:13:08 pm »
Around 9-10 years ago I shipped a buddy of mine who was stationed over in Iraq some DME, hop pellets, and dry yeast.  He and his buddies got it boiled, fermented in plastic buckets, and bottled it in used water bottles.  Despite the fermentation temperature being around 85°F, he said it was quite drinkable. I suppose it would be compared to the alternative of nothing.