Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Another "Scary" article about the dangerous ingredients used in beer  (Read 5040 times)

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
Re: Another "Scary" article about the dangerous ingredients used in beer
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2013, 09:53:10 am »
Not all people agree as to what "quality" in life means.  To some it is health, others wealth, etc.  Personally I try to limit my poisons, but heck guys, alcohol will kill ya and that doesn't seem to stop us.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
One other aspect is called "what's the point?" My idea of a perfectly health safe life would lead to that question

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2013, 12:41:39 pm »
Not all people agree as to what "quality" in life means.  To some it is health, others wealth, etc.  Personally I try to limit my poisons, but heck guys, alcohol will kill ya and that doesn't seem to stop us.

I completely agree with ya.  But although I still drink what I brew, I severely limit my consumption for health reasons.  Same with my intake of red meat (maybe once or twice a year), fat (I eat too much, no matter what), bread, pasta, and other things.  By enjoying them in limited quantities, I hope to be able to enjoy them longer.  I have heart disease and am pre diabetic, and those color every choice I make about what to put into my body.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2013, 12:56:31 pm »

I completely agree with ya.  But although I still drink what I brew, I severely limit my consumption for health reasons.  Same with my intake of red meat (maybe once or twice a year), fat (I eat too much, no matter what), bread, pasta, and other things.  By enjoying them in limited quantities, I hope to be able to enjoy them longer.  I have heart disease and am pre diabetic, and those color every choice I make about what to put into my body.

+1 I'm living your life, brother.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline philm63

• Assistant Brewer
  • Agis Quod Adis!
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2013, 04:35:48 am »
There is one positive in this article, though; the author points folks away from the BMCs and toward micros and locally crafted beers... I'll give her that.
AHA Member

On Tap: APA - 1st brew on the new system!
On Deck: Kolsch, IPA

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2013, 09:52:28 am »
I wonder when these watchdogs will expose the toxic dangerous substance that are used in making pretzels, pretzel buns, and in Germany the Laugenbrot that I loved to eat.

Hint Laugenbrot=lye bread.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2013, 05:49:16 am »
I wonder when these watchdogs will expose the toxic dangerous substance that are used in making pretzels, pretzel buns, and in Germany the Laugenbrot that I loved to eat.

Or the ingredients in a smoked ham.  Or dry cured sausage.  Oh, the horrors!  :o

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2013, 07:09:00 am »

I can  see the headline now "On Pretzels - Author Says it is all a Lye!"

It's nice to start the day with a  little pun.   ;D

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Jarhno

• Cellarman
  • You can call me John. (Portland, OR.)
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2013, 10:29:50 am »
I don't know about you all, but I've been building a thirst ever since reading that fear mongering article.
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.  - Frank Zappa