Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Summer/Session Ale  (Read 5274 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Summer/Session Ale
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2013, 04:57:29 pm »
You're right, definitely a fermentation temp issue.  Ever use the swamp cooler method ?  I did it for years before I got the used fridge/temp controller combo. It's a little tedious switching out frozen water bottles but it works well. And it's budget friendly.
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2013, 05:09:53 pm »
I got the temp down overnight in a temp controlled fridge and it seem that most of the active fermentation took place at 68F. The main issue was not getting the wort chilled enough. The combo of not having a great wort chiller and warm ground water got me. I am thinking that maybe stressed yeast is another possibility. I think it took about 36 hours to take off.

Now that it is cooling down I am hoping to avoid this issue for a while...I am hoping the beer continues to change and develop but it appears that the damage is done. At least it is drinkable.

I am thinking about keg hopping it but don't know if it is worth it. I have probably drank close to 1/4 of the keg already from obsessive tasting...damn my impatience is back
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 05:18:21 pm by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2013, 05:33:25 pm »
Yeah summertime ground water temps are a freaking challenge.  What I do is to put a sanitized frozen water bottle (or 2)in the kettle once the cooling levels off, to get the extra few degrees of cooling I need.  I stir thoroughly to shorten cooling times anyway, but it's extra important here, to avoid temp stratification. I cool 2 or 3 degrees below my target fermentation temp, to account for the temp spike around high krausen.
Jon H.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2013, 01:24:00 pm »
I got the same dissappointing taste from S-04 that fermented a little too warm. Terribly fruity, and not in a good, belgian sort of way. Probably some diacetyl too.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2013, 01:26:56 pm »
A bucket or carboy fits in one of these with the lid open and you can put ice packs around it. I got a beer down to 55F once doing this. (oops). I wrap some towels around the top to hold the cool in.

And it's blue!
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2013, 06:42:21 pm »
A bucket or carboy fits in one of these with the lid open and you can put ice packs around it. I got a beer down to 55F once doing this. (oops). I wrap some towels around the top to hold the cool in.

And it's blue!

I cut a hole in the lid of mine and can close it on a carboy. I've gone down to 50 on a Scotch ale and could probably go lower.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2013, 08:10:03 pm »

And it's blue!

I cut a hole in the lid of mine and can close it on a carboy. I've gone down to 50 on a Scotch ale and could probably go lower.

It also makes a wonderful mash tun... For a couple of reasons, but most importantly, it's blue!
Frank

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2013, 09:40:54 am »
Awesome! I have a cooler very similar to that packed away. It never even occurred to me to use it for fermentation. Thanks for the idea!

I am definitely starting to get more off flavors and think an infection may be developing as it ages...hard to tell right now. It smells fine but leaves sort of a sour twang on the back of the tongue after a while. I was looking at descriptions of off flavors yesterday but none seemed to be the right fit.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2013, 11:48:35 am »
When my house was in the high 70's during the summer, two medium size ice packs would keep it in the mid 60's. I swapped them twice a day for fresh ones. As soon as fermentation slows I let it rise to room temp.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4
AHA Member since 2006

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2013, 01:20:49 pm »

And it's blue!

I use a cooler like that as a portable keg cooler.  Cut a hole the diameter of the keg in the lid, insert keg and fill with ice.  Stays cold for days.

Paul

It also makes a wonderful mash tun... For a couple of reasons, but most importantly, it's blue!
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2013, 01:57:38 pm »
I am definitely starting to get more off flavors and think an infection may be developing as it ages...hard to tell right now. It smells fine but leaves sort of a sour twang on the back of the tongue after a while. I was looking at descriptions of off flavors yesterday but none seemed to be the right fit.

36 hours for fermentation to take off would worry me.

I've got a porter right now that took 48 hours and three separate pitches of dry yeast to get going.  Not sure I'll be buying any more Danstar yeast but the first two packets were kinda old.

I brew this porter every year to make my vanilla porter and since I don't care too much about yeast character in it I pitch whatever older dry yeast I have on hand.  I've had two batches get infected when lag times have been excessive.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2013, 04:04:06 pm »
So I am pretty sure this beer just has a case of off flavors and not an infection. It doesn't seem to be getting any worse. It is drinkable so I will continue to drink it until it is gone or I have enough beer ready to go.

I honestly don't mind it much but my buddy thought it tasted like a Belgian beer which is about the complete opposite of what I was going for...haha