General Category > Beer Recipes

Strong dark Belgian ideas from mixed grains

(1/6) > >>

oregonianredbird:
So I have a bucket of the following grains, which have already been milled and are mixed together. (Long story, but involves disastrous units conversions.)

6.38 lb pilsener malt (38.5%)
4.5 lb aromatic malt (27.1%)
4.75 lb carapils (28.7%)
0.9 lb Munich malt (5.7%)

It's obviously a ton of aromatic malt and carapils, but I want to try to salvage some of these grains. My idea is to make a Belgian quad, using half of the grains and adding another ~7 pounds of pilsener malt, a little more Munich malt, and some various Belgian candi sugars. For an OG of 1.104, I would still be at 10% carapils and 9.6% aromatic malt. (This is based very loosely on ideas for Rochefort 10 clones I've seen on a few forums.)

In general, I'm wondering if this could possibly turn into a good beer? I know the carapils is unfermentable, but it seems like it might work okay in this style. Is there something else you would recommend brewing with this odd mix of grains? All ideas welcome!

dmtaylor:
I would use a quarter of the whole mix for your quad, not half.  Beyond the quad, I would never use more than about 2 or 2.5 lbs of the mix for any standard gravity 5 gallon batch.  Otherwise it will be too heavy -- end up tasting like cherry candy or something like that.  Good idea though, still being able to use it up over time.  Keep it vacuum sealed if you must to keep it from going stale.

oregonianredbird:
Do you think the heaviness/sickly sweetness would come more from the volume of crystal malt, or the fact that all of it is the same type (carapils)? I was thinking since there are recipes out there that have ~2-3 pounds of crystal malts in total (say, a combination of carapils, CaraMunich, CaraVienne, special B, for example), maybe I could get away with a larger amount of the mix.

The grains are currently in a bucket with an airtight lid, and it was nitrogen flushed prior to sealing, so hopefully isn't oxidizing too quickly.

morticaixavier:

--- Quote from: oregonianredbird on September 11, 2013, 02:51:51 PM ---Do you think the heaviness/sickly sweetness would come more from the volume of crystal malt, or the fact that all of it is the same type (carapils)? I was thinking since there are recipes out there that have ~2-3 pounds of crystal malts in total (say, a combination of carapils, CaraMunich, CaraVienne, special B, for example), maybe I could get away with a larger amount of the mix.

The grains are currently in a bucket with an airtight lid, and it was nitrogen flushed prior to sealing, so hopefully isn't oxidizing too quickly.

--- End quote ---

just because there are recipes out there that use that much crystal doesn't mean it's a good idea. There is a recipe out there that uses a Whole Dead Chicken... in secondary. That's just crazy! I mean who uses secondaries anymore?  ;D

Joe Sr.:
I've never used more than .5 lbs of carapils in 5 gallons that I can recall.  I haven't used carapils in years, although I've been considering it as I'm not happy with my head retention these days.

That said, I think something like a BDS, quad or an imperial stout is what you want to go for to absorb those grains.  Something strong with a really high OG.

I agree, though, that using 1/4 would be a good place to start.  And hop the hell out of it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version