Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: House IPA search, round three  (Read 7983 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: House IPA search, round three
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2013, 10:30:52 am »
@ klickitat jim - What is your typical BU/GU on your IPAs? Do you use that ratio to track the movement of the bitterness up or down, or do you just add hops until it tastes right? Mine are right around 1.200-ish (BeerSmith using Tinseth) and while I personally think that's pretty high, I could still see a little more bitterness as being welcome in my IPAs.

If you have a BU:GU ratio that high and your still looking for a little more bitterness you could try bumping your sulfate up way way high. like 250-300ppm

THIS^^^^  Try it the easy empirical way to see if you like it...add 1-2 tsp. of gypsum to the kettle.
Might pick some up at lhbs next trip. Unless they have it at hardware store lol

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2013, 10:34:09 am »
@ klickitat jim - What is your typical BU/GU on your IPAs? Do you use that ratio to track the movement of the bitterness up or down, or do you just add hops until it tastes right? Mine are right around 1.200-ish (BeerSmith using Tinseth) and while I personally think that's pretty high, I could still see a little more bitterness as being welcome in my IPAs.

If you have a BU:GU ratio that high and your still looking for a little more bitterness you could try bumping your sulfate up way way high. like 250-300ppm

THIS^^^^  Try it the easy empirical way to see if you like it...add 1-2 tsp. of gypsum to the kettle.

+1

Calcium and sulphate are both helpful for not only the hop character/bitterness, but also calcium is needed for a healthy fermentation. Calcium can aide in beer clarity as well.
Ron Price

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2013, 10:36:34 am »

Or you can even dose the beer with gypsum in the glass to experiment with levels.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2013, 12:03:38 pm »
@ klickitat jim - What is your typical BU/GU on your IPAs? Do you use that ratio to track the movement of the bitterness up or down, or do you just add hops until it tastes right? Mine are right around 1.200-ish

Sitting here waiting for mash time...
By my calculation this should be 56pts with 71ibu or about 1:1.26

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2013, 12:15:59 pm »
@ klickitat jim - What is your typical BU/GU on your IPAs? Do you use that ratio to track the movement of the bitterness up or down, or do you just add hops until it tastes right? Mine are right around 1.200-ish

Sitting here waiting for mash time...
By my calculation this should be 56pts with 71ibu or about 1:1.26

FYI, it's usually referred to as BU:GU, so in that format your ratio would be 1.26:1.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2013, 12:32:41 pm »
Ahha I'll remember that

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2013, 03:31:23 pm »
Finalized this finally
End result is in the ball park of what I wanted. Nose is citrus and mango, front is a bite of fresh mango that mellows to carmely malt, and right at the end there's a grapefruit burst that makes you want to do it again.
Numbers are 7%, 100, 12.

Washington Select, Munich and Crystal
Simcoe, Cascade, and Mosaic
Wy1056

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2013, 03:58:42 pm »
Sounds good man !  Simple and good. I'm with Denny - simplicity is the way to go, except for when it isn't.
Jon H.