Author Topic: Resin  (Read 1658 times)

cornershot

Re: Resin
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2013, 12:32:09 PM »
I always thought of 'resinous' almost as a mouthfeel component. Its not the type of hop flavors, but the way they coat and stick to my palate.

That would actually make sense to me. But it's usually used in reference to flavor.

I understand "piney" or "pine resin," but resin itself doesn't make much sense to me.

"Dank" makes me think of a feeling or atmosphere, not flavor.

So, what I get from this thread (besides that y'all are a bunch of stoners), is that "resin" and "dank" as flavor descriptors are ambiguous and therefore useless. If we can't think of something known and familiar to use as a reference, why make s*** up?

I don't think it's ambiguous. Sensory descriptors come from sensory memory which comes from sensory experience. "Dank" is a very common sensory descriptor in the craft beer community, usually spoken with a wink and a nod and generally understood. Go figure. Shouldn't be too surprising considering the similar bouquets of hops' evil cousin.

What should really come as a surprise from this thread...

To me "resinous" is sort of the flavor part of a strong bittering character. It's sort of like licking pine sap as opposed to the aromatics of freshly crushed pine needles or juniper berries. It's sort of the same character, but resin is a bit more abrasive and clings to the tongue, while piney is more fleeting.

And when I use the term "dank" I am definitely referring to cannabis. The wet basement thing is more "musty" to me. I get that more from Brett than I do with hops.

Some people actually lick pine sap!

Offline klickitat jim

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2013, 12:53:18 PM »
 hops' evil cousin.

Blackberries?

Offline HoosierBrew

• Brewmaster General
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2013, 01:04:01 PM »
I don't see any ambiguity whatsoever.  I take "resiny" to mean the intense, long lasting, oily hop character (from Columbus primarily) that coats the tongue, reminiscent of cannabis (or so I've heard ;)).  Works for me.
Jon H.

Offline narvin

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Baltimore
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2013, 02:03:56 PM »
It makes me think of sticky tree sap.  I'd say "sappy" but people might think I'm talking about the Hello Kitty beer.
Please do not reply if your an evil alien!
Thanks
Chris S.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Brewmaster
  • Da mihi sis cerevisiam.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2013, 03:03:30 PM »
Resin is exactly the word used by several folks to describe my Spruce beer made with fresh spring spruce tips in place of hops.  Kind of a wet hop approach using spruce tips instead.  Pretty resiny, for sure.  Not necessarily really dank, I don't think, but maybe a little....
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline fmader

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2013, 03:05:31 PM »
Drink Six-Point Resin.... That beer is resinous... And delicious!
Frank

Offline HoosierBrew

• Brewmaster General
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2013, 04:33:00 PM »
I bought some a couple months ago.  I got the freshest 4-pack they had.  Loved it.  Lives up to its name.
Jon H.

Offline fmader

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2013, 05:31:14 PM »
I bought some a couple months ago.  I got the freshest 4-pack they had.  Loved it.  Lives up to its name.

Oddly enough, I haven't looked up the hop profile (I might now). I had it on tap locally... Amazing
Frank

Offline theoman

• Brewer
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2013, 06:00:11 AM »
I don't see any ambiguity whatsoever.  I take "resiny" to mean...

I'm not sure if you're serious or if this is meant to be a joke. If it's a joke, I like it. If you're serious, look up "ambiguous."  ;)

Online mtnrockhopper

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2013, 07:17:25 AM »

I'm not sure if you're serious or if this is meant to be a joke. If it's a joke, I like it. If you're serious, look up "ambiguous."  ;)
I'm confused, that description sounded fairly specific to me?
Jimmy K

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup when the old president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP: B0958

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2013, 07:25:50 AM »
Another more descriptive term for dank is "cat pee".  And thats a wine term as well, often used to describe a complex sauvignon blanc.  Its a compound related to the ones that taste/smell like grapefruit.

While these dank hops are all the rage, or at least last year's rage, I tend to prefer the brighter citrus of a Centennial or Sorachi Ace.  If I use dank hops in a blend I try and keep it to a level that just gives a hint.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

cornershot

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2013, 08:01:25 AM »
To me cascade hops=cat pee, but I don't consider cascades to be dank.

Offline erockrph

• Brewmaster General
  • Chepachet, RI
    • View Profile
    • Critical Tastings
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2013, 08:06:37 AM »
Another more descriptive term for dank is "cat pee".  And thats a wine term as well, often used to describe a complex sauvignon blanc.  Its a compound related to the ones that taste/smell like grapefruit.

While these dank hops are all the rage, or at least last year's rage, I tend to prefer the brighter citrus of a Centennial or Sorachi Ace.  If I use dank hops in a blend I try and keep it to a level that just gives a hint.

Yeah, I'm going in the fruit bomb direction myself with my hoppy beers. I tend to either use a small amount of a dank hop for balance, or just using a hop that is fruit-forward with background notes of dank (Nelson, Mosaic, etc.).

What should really come as a surprise from this thread...

To me "resinous" is sort of the flavor part of a strong bittering character. It's sort of like licking pine sap as opposed to the aromatics of freshly crushed pine needles or juniper berries. It's sort of the same character, but resin is a bit more abrasive and clings to the tongue, while piney is more fleeting.

And when I use the term "dank" I am definitely referring to cannabis. The wet basement thing is more "musty" to me. I get that more from Brett than I do with hops.

Some people actually lick pine sap!

I wouldn't go out of my way to lick it, but it's impossible to get it all off your hands. I've spent my fair share of time fighting with Christmas trees, or clearing branches to set up a hunting stand. I also use pine oil as a cover scent, so I've spent many an afternoon in/under a tree eating Clif bars with pine oil and/or sap all over my hands.

Plus, smell and taste are so intertwined that you can use a taste descriptor even if you've only smelled it. Otherwise I hear a lot of people throwing around cat pee as a descriptor here. I don't know how they clean their litter boxes, but I think they're doing it wrong!
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• Brewmaster General
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2013, 08:21:48 AM »

I understand fully the meaning of the word, thanks.  For some time the word dank has come to mean sticky and cannabis-like among many home and craft brewers as it applies to some hops.  But much like we don't pitch yeast like a baseball or mash grain like mashed potatoes, some words, ambiguous or no, take on a specific context within a field.  Why you chose this as your line in the sand is past me. Rock on !
Jon H.

Offline theoman

• Brewer
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2013, 09:08:55 AM »

I understand fully the meaning of the word, thanks.  For some time the word dank has come to mean sticky and cannabis-like among many home and craft brewers as it applies to some hops.  But much like we don't pitch yeast like a baseball or mash grain like mashed potatoes, some words, ambiguous or no, take on a specific context within a field.  Why you chose this as your line in the sand is past me. Rock on !

It's different. When somebody is telling me they're mashing their grain or mashing their potatoes, I know exactly what they're talking about. When I read that a beer tastes like resin, it could mean a number of things (as this thread proves) even though the context is clear, so I generally ignore it. So why bother? There's gotta be something better.