Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Insipid cider, tannens and acid blend fix?  (Read 2335 times)

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
Insipid cider, tannens and acid blend fix?
« on: September 30, 2013, 04:29:31 am »
 I made another attempt at a cider. I followed one of the recipes from the cider seminar at the AHA conference," Bourbon Oaked Cider".
 After letting it ferment out (at this point it tasted pretty good) I transferred it to a secondary and added the bourbon soaked oak chips for two weeks.
After the two weeks I added camden tablets and potassium sorbate waited 24 hours and transferred to a keg. I had a taste and it pretty much tasted like apple juice with little flavor and no bite. It tasted better before adding the oak, and the camden/potassium sorbate, and now it doesn't need any backsweeting.
 My question are. Did adding the camden/potassium sorbate change the flavor, and would adding some acid blend and wine tannins to the keg help give it a bit more pop? Or does that stuff need to be added prefermentation?

Dan S. from NJ

cornershot

Re: Insipid cider, tannens and acid blend fix?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 04:56:46 am »
I can taste sorbate and avoid it whenever possible. But it's hard to back sweeten without it. You can try adding acid and/or tannin. Experiment on a small scale first.
Not sure about the Bourbon-soaked oak but I enjoy a little French oak in my cider.
Is it carbonated? That may be all it needs.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 06:18:27 am »
If you oaked it you probably picked up some tannins there. Acid may help. Taste it in a small sample first and scale up from there. I also agree that carbonation can help.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 07:11:17 am »
It's amazing how much a little acid will punch up the flavor.  Try a little of several different kinds, citric, malic, ascorbic, acid blend, and see which one does the trick.  They had a nice bjcp seminar on this at the NHC in Mpls.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 07:16:45 am »
Acid can definitely help and can be added now. I wouldn't bother with tannins, you got some from the oak and the powdered forms available in homebrew stores won't work the way you hope. They also tend to require aging. Acid and sugar balance each other out, so you might want to add some sugar after adding acid.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958