Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: RO Water and additives  (Read 2286 times)

Offline bassface74

• Cellarman
RO Water and additives
« on: March 16, 2010, 11:33:39 am »
I use RO water for brewing, should I be adding anything to that type of water for hardness....etc?  My brews are just extract using steeping grains so it's nothing too crazy.  My first two batches seemed to finish a little "off" in flavor so I thought I would see if it may be my water.  It does taste fine though.

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
Re: RO Water and additives
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 11:39:41 am »
I don't think the off-flavor comes from the lack of salts. The only salt that may be benefical to you is gypsum (calcium sulfate). The additional sulfate is known to accentuate the hop presence. Aside from that the extract contains all the minerals you need.

Kai

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 12:45:55 pm »
I use RO water for brewing, should I be adding anything to that type of water for hardness....etc?  My brews are just extract using steeping grains so it's nothing too crazy.  My first two batches seemed to finish a little "off" in flavor so I thought I would see if it may be my water.  It does taste fine though.

Describe "off-flavor" please?

It could be oxidized extract.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bassface74

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 01:24:04 pm »
Not sure, kind of old I guess.  It just didn't taste right.  I am thinking I got some extract that was a little too old on the shelf?
I made a pilsner.

I have yet to taste the english brown ale I made for my 2nd brew, maybe that one will turn out.

I have also switched to using star san so i might have gotten some contamination since I'm still green at doing this.

Offline dimik

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 01:41:03 pm »
I used RO water with no additives when doing extracts, and had no problems.
My guess is there is something with your procedure... ferm temps perhaps? Or it could be old extract.
Check out BKYeast for my yeast ranching adventures and home lab!

Primary: Braggot, Petite Saison, Porter, Herbal IPA

On Tap: RyeIPA

Offline Beertracker

• Brewer
  • ExperiFermenting since 1994!
    • Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 04:59:27 pm »
It's doubtful that your "off-flavor" is coming from your RO water. Sounds like either the extract was stale (+1) or you inadvertently aerated your finished beer causing oxidation. Use of some epsom salt may also be beneficial in future brews, as it again contributes to a beer's crispness and adds nutrients for the yeast.  ;)   
CHEERS! Jeff
"A homebrewed beer is truly a superior beer." ~ "Buffalo" Bill Owens - American Brewer

Jeffrey Swearengin
Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
Tulsa, OK USA