Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sierra Nevada Beer Camp  (Read 1705 times)

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
Sierra Nevada Beer Camp
« on: September 12, 2013, 08:31:40 pm »
I just learned about the Beer Camp this evening. This is pretty cool. I had never heard of it, but I was probably ignorant of it being that I'm in the Midwest. A local bar had the 3 releases of the beer camp recipes in bottles. I had the IPA first, which is hopped with cascade in citra. It was good, but not great. It was too malty for my liking for an IPA. The Belgian Black IPA was the third that I tried. It was interesting. Belgian yeast and the hop showcase was Nelson Sauvin and Sarachi Ace. The imperial red was the second I tried and it was STELLAR! It was one of the best imperial reds that I have tried! That's saying a lot since Great lakes Nosferatu is on tap now. It isn't as hoppy as Nosferatu, but man was it good.

Aside from the beers, I think this is a pretty cool thing that they have going on at Sierra Nevada. 
Frank

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
Re: Sierra Nevada Beer Camp
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 08:50:19 am »
Believe me... it is pretty cool  :)
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 09:20:58 am »
Believe me... it is pretty cool  :)

It's beyond pretty cool!  And you get to meet some pretty cool people, too!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 09:22:48 am »
I just learned about the Beer Camp this evening. This is pretty cool. I had never heard of it, but I was probably ignorant of it being that I'm in the Midwest. A local bar had the 3 releases of the beer camp recipes in bottles. I had the IPA first, which is hopped with cascade in citra. It was good, but not great. It was too malty for my liking for an IPA. The Belgian Black IPA was the third that I tried. It was interesting. Belgian yeast and the hop showcase was Nelson Sauvin and Sarachi Ace. The imperial red was the second I tried and it was STELLAR! It was one of the best imperial reds that I have tried! That's saying a lot since Great lakes Nosferatu is on tap now. It isn't as hoppy as Nosferatu, but man was it good.

Aside from the beers, I think this is a pretty cool thing that they have going on at Sierra Nevada.

Brewmichigan (Mike) and I were at the same Beer Camp.  Hopfenmalz (Jeff) went a few years before we did).  They run one every couple of weeks, believe it or not.  Here are my photos....

http://s794.photobucket.com/user/dennyconn/library/Beer%20Camp

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 09:44:00 am »
Yeah, I told Denny and Mike to drop everything they were doing and GO! I think that they now agree.  ;)
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 09:45:16 am »
DEFINITELY a homebrewing goal for me... Looks like an amazing experience!
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 10:30:03 am »
Yeah, I told Denny and Mike to drop everything they were doing and GO! I think that they now agree.  ;)

Agree is too mild a term, Jeff!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 10:42:54 am »
Always wanted to go, but have yet to make it there. Sounds like a lot of fun...AND learning.
Ron Price

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 11:07:32 am »
Thanks for the insight, fellas.... Maybe one of these years, I'll be able to make the trip to Cali and live this experience.
Frank