Author Topic: My Columbus hops smell like an electrical fire!  (Read 2317 times)

Offline Slowbrew

• Brewmaster General
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
    • View Profile
Re: My Columbus hops smell like an electrical fire!
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2013, 11:27:21 AM »
Environmental residue or something perhaps?  Any industrial type plants in the neighborhood belching out exhaust that might be settling on the plants?  Live next to a busy highway/interstate?  Metal recycler in the area?

Pure SWAG, just trying to think of possibilities.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline kramerog

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2013, 10:59:50 AM »
I checked my Goldings.  They do not smell of electrical fires.  I just noticed while bagging some of my Cascades that there was a faint electrical fire smell that I hadn't noticed in my earlier Cascade.  I made an IPA with my earlier-picked Cascade and it tastes great but not as intense as desired.

So I think that the electrical fire does not come from pollution, but may be due to terroir, farming skill (or lack thereof) and C hops.  Possibly late picking of hops intensifies the electrical fire taste but I wasn't looking for the electrical fire earlier in my Cascades.  I haven't ruled out the possibility that I am perceiving C hops in a way that is somewhat unique; I'll have to dry hop one gallon of beer and try it on other homebrewers.
Brewers of South Suburbia
Brixie's Brewers
Oak Park Homebrewers

Offline kramerog

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2015, 07:19:57 AM »
Update:  I recently bought some Warrior hops.  They smell like an electrical fire to me too.  I can see why Warrior is used for bittering and not aroma.

Does anybody get else get electrical fire from Warrior?
Brewers of South Suburbia
Brixie's Brewers
Oak Park Homebrewers

Offline HoosierBrew

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2015, 07:22:29 AM »
I only use Warrior for bittering, but I've never had that experience with them.
Jon H.

Offline brewinhard

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2015, 12:43:51 PM »
I am beginning to think your sense of smell is going.... ;D

No seriously, I was I going to suggest as stated above, that a good proper flushing with just straight water (no chemicals/fertilizers) might be in order several waterings prior to picking.  This will help to flush out any residual chemical aroma/flavor and "clean" things up a bit.