Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Got to love hops...  (Read 2862 times)

Offline HobsonDrake

• Assistant Brewer
  • Beaverton, OR
    • Brew Batch List
Got to love hops...
« on: September 23, 2013, 06:46:58 pm »
So Short story. I was on Craig's list and found a posting that a new home owner had a Nugget plant out back and wasn't able to use the hops so said anyone who wanted could come over and pick. So I inquired and said I would trade for some and he said he would make sure there was some left for me on Sunday to pick.
Picked enough to fill a four gallon bucket (just enough to fill my dehydrator) and placed the bucket in my car. They were in the car for about three hours before I got home to put them in the dehydrator.
This morning, open the care and greeted by the smell of fresh hops. Got back in the car about noon and again greeted with the smell of fresh hops. One last time to come home and guess what? Fresh hops.  :)
My Monday started out a little rough. That was a great surprise aroma therapy.
I love fresh hops.
 ;D
Check out my brew history and recipes at http://www.hobsondrake.com/BrewList.html

John D.

cornershot

Re: Got to love hops...
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 07:32:08 pm »
I packaged my freshly dried cascades this morning and my clothes smelled like hops all day. Every now and then I'd get a whiff. Gotta love it!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 09:34:36 am »
I left most of mine on the bine this year.  In years past I've harvested so much that I still have lbs. of Cascades from 5 years ago.  This year, after I got to 1/2 lb. dried, I just left the rest.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

cornershot

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 12:11:00 pm »
I left most of mine on the bine this year.  In years past I've harvested so much that I still have lbs. of Cascades from 5 years ago.  This year, after I got to 1/2 lb. dried, I just left the rest.

I have been doing the same but these are going to a big brew day with the club on Saturday. Several members will contribute hops of several varieties.

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 02:10:57 pm »
That was a great surprise aroma therapy.
I love fresh hops.
 ;D

8), I too love the smell.  Some people don't like it... :o
You could look into hop pillows!

I left most of mine on the bine this year.

Good for you Denny. 
I know I have given you a ration in the past for feeling like you had to process the entire crop...
Glad to hear you are relaxing in that front.   ;)

They persist on the bine for a long time, and a simple squish and smear between the fingers releases the smell of hops for months to come!