Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: pH Meters  (Read 11415 times)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: pH Meters
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2011, 06:59:04 am »
I calibrate every day of use because, why not?

We calibrate each pH meter at least once every workday, and record the calibration data in a logbook (spreadsheet).

+1

This is a good SOP if you want any degree of certainty in your measurements. Reliable data is good data.
Ron Price

Offline Tim McManus

• Assistant Brewer
    • Haskell Brewing Company
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2011, 08:02:28 am »
I just got an email from the folks at Milwaukee in response to some of the questions I asked on this thread.  They also sent a link to a video that shows how to calibrate the unit and change the temperature from °C to °F.  I thought I'd post it here in case some other folks had the same questions.

+++begin forward from Milwaukee

You should store in a cup or jar with about 1" of either storage solution, 4.01 calibration, a mix of 4.01 & 7.01, and last choice bottle water. Never let the probe dry out and be sure to rinse in clean water after each use -- you should also see our video at the following link:

http://www.milwaukeeinstruments.com/video-cal-pH55.html

This is the same calibration procedure for the PH56 as it is for the PH55

+++end
Tim McManus
Haskell, NJ

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2011, 08:58:56 am »
I calibrate every day of use because, why not?

We calibrate each pH meter at least once every workday, and record the calibration data in a logbook (spreadsheet).

+1

This is a good SOP if you want any degree of certainty in your measurements. Reliable data is good data.

I’d say that in my case pragmatism took over since it is extra effort for me to get out the calibration solutions, heat them to 25C and test the pH meter. Since I do that before experiments, the data for those needs to be more reliable than the pH readings for brewing, and I never had to change the calibration by more than 0.02 I stopped calibration and even checking before using the pH meter to take mash, wort or beer pH readings. If I get a much unexpected reading I’ll for sure check the calibration.

However, I do recommend that you start out with checking and calibrating the meter more regularly until you develop confidence that it doesn’t drift that much. With the automatic calibration meters I also suggest that you test the buffer before starting the calibration process. This way you can see how much off the pH meter was before it was calibrated again.

Interesting suggestion about storage in buffer, or a mix of buffer and storage solution. I learned something. From my experience I know that I have to regularly change the storage solution since I do get some mold growth.

As a side note, I’m actually very pleased how well my new pH meter (Milwaukee SM101) has been holding up over the last 2 years that I had it. The reading stabilized fairly quick (within 5-7s when testing wort or mash) and I have not seen a degradation of the slope (repeated need for calibrating the 4.00 point). All that after having easily done more than 1000 pH readings during experiments and regular brewing

Kai

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2011, 10:04:00 am »
I just got an email from the folks at Milwaukee in response to some of the questions I asked on this thread.  They also sent a link to a video that shows how to calibrate the unit and change the temperature from °C to °F.  I thought I'd post it here in case some other folks had the same questions.

You mean to tell me that Milwaukee has been paying attention to our forum?  If that's the case, I guess my next meter is going to be from them.

Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Tim McManus

• Assistant Brewer
    • Haskell Brewing Company
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2011, 10:09:12 am »

You mean to tell me that Milwaukee has been paying attention to our forum?  If that's the case, I guess my next meter is going to be from them.

LOL, no.  I sent them an email yesterday afternoon and got the reply this morning.  Of course, they could be lurking...   ;)
Tim McManus
Haskell, NJ

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2011, 08:13:44 pm »
Great video.
Thank you for the link
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline duxx

• Cellarman
  • Good Karma Brewing, Warrensburg, MO
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2013, 04:26:42 pm »
I'm hoping to purchase a pH meter in the near future.  I found this old thread.  So, I'm just checking to see if anyone has any additional comments, given that this is 2 1/3 years old?
"Tan and lean like a longneck bottle."  Zac Brown Band.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2013, 07:12:56 pm »
I cannot recommend the PH56 meter, but I can recommend the MW-101.  I've heard of too many problems with the PH56. I do appreciate that I can replace the standard pH probe on the MW-101 since it is equipped with the industry-standard BNC connector.   
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline philm63

• Assistant Brewer
  • Agis Quod Adis!
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2013, 04:23:26 am »
+1 on the MW 101. Easy to calibrate, easy to use, good precision, good investment. As Martin said, replacing the probe is simple - many replacement probes have a standard BNC connector.
AHA Member

On Tap: APA - 1st brew on the new system!
On Deck: Kolsch, IPA